Cd players with variable output?

I'd like to purchase an amplifier and a cd player with variable output so that I can avoid buying a pre-amp. I only listen to cd and don't want to spend money on components that I don't seem to need. Now to the question.
Is the Quad CDP the least expensive "quality" cd player with variable output, or "volume control?"
david_cordner
Theta Miles for around $1200 used is an excellent piece. Has variable analog output. Go for the balanced version though.
Post removed 
By attaching directly onto the amplifier input RCA jacks with the Electronic Visionary System (EVS) Ultimate Attenuators there is no need for another interconnect when running directly from CD to amp, as there is no separate passive preamp box. Available from tweakaudio.com. This stepped volume control solution on your amp means your CD player does not need its own variable volume control.
Remember that Philips 880 was new in 1987... A 16 year old player is not worth a lot, no matter what mods. It's STILL really old for a CD player! (I had one when new... it was pretty good for it's day)
I would only run a cd player direct until you can aford a preamp or passive attenuator. The preamps (variable outputs) in any cd player I have heard are pure junk and take a lot away from even a great cd player. You dont need to spend a lot of money to up the sound quality of the preamp in a cd player. I would even go as far to say by a cheaper cd player and a good preamp or attenuator.