Cd players with variable output?

I'd like to purchase an amplifier and a cd player with variable output so that I can avoid buying a pre-amp. I only listen to cd and don't want to spend money on components that I don't seem to need. Now to the question.
Is the Quad CDP the least expensive "quality" cd player with variable output, or "volume control?"
david_cordner
So Proy, that's a pretty bold statement "Best deal for the $$$. bar none....".

Have you actually heard All of the $900-975 used CD players w/volume control, in your system?

If not, then you actually have no idea if the Sony is the best....bar none!

I have not heard the Sony in my system. I have heard all of the units I mentioned in my post. I don't know if any of them are the best for the $$$, bar none, but I do know how they sound relative to each other. They are all pretty good, and considering the rapid improvements in digital technology, it is likely that being 10-12 years newer, the Cary may well be sonically better than the Sony, even at half the weight!

Oh yeah, you can buy the Cary for only $800 used. And its transport is 10 years newer!

Enjoy,

TIC

PS, if you have heard all of these units in your system, nevermind! :~)
The Cary 306/200 is available variable out also. The Sony XA7's little brother the Cdp-Xa20Es sounds better than the Xa7 direct to the amp. Then there's the sweet ol'e Denon Dvd-5000, which was in Stereophiles associated equipment stable for years. And the list goes on....... Wadia, ML 390S......
Viggen,

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Based on your moniker, I assume you know this!:~) But I agree, the Sony is more attractive to me too.

BTW, I like the Viggen too.....

Enjoy,

TIC
Linn's Genki cd player has two set of variable output. very handy if you would like to upgrade to a bi-amp setup. It
features 24bit & HDCD.