If your CD's are harsh, try this

make a 2nd copy on a cd burner. This will be analog, not digital. Smooths out the sound.
cdc
Cdc, a copy done with a CD burner is a digital copy, and not an analogue. The CD medium itself is a digital medium and is not analogue at all.

KF
I use the Auric Illuminator system (black pen & anti-static/polishing fluid). This seems to do a good job of removing some of the digital glare on CD's.
I agree with the above two posters completely, and the individule who started this thread is mistaken, perhaps you are loosing some information but your not getting better sound. I would suspect some of Cdc's equipment/room have a lot to do with why he gets harsh sounding CD's to sound better with a fair at best CD/R copy.
From what I understand, when you burn a CD-ROM, the pit shape is different from those that you buy in the store. So, to give Cdc the benefit of the doubt, maybe he is hearing a slight softening of the sound. Personally, I don't hear any big difference between my originals and the ones I burn on my computer...

Cdc,when you made this comparison, you were playing the CD and the copy on the same audio system, correct???
Conversely, about the Auric Illuminator: the fact that it cuts glariness from Cds, is all the more reason, to me, not to use it on my pristine cds. How can that gel differentiate poor cds from pristine ones. It can't. I washed off a load of cds after discovering that. I will gel up the harsh ones. Sorry to get off the topic. Couldn't resist.