Best cd player under $600 used for system

Hello all,

I'm currently planning on building a system around sonus faber grand piano home speakers. I've grown quite fond of their sound and have read here on audiogon that they pair up well with the musical fidelity a3cr series amp and preamp. I am currently on the market for these 3 components and have been leaning strongly toward the rega planet 2000 for use as a cd player. Ive taken part in some conversations where the rega is described as "bright" and wanted to know if this was the common opinion shared by people here on audiogon. I was also told that "bright" is used to describe that "up front" sound like a full orchestra hall in contrast to "dark" sounding like a smokey jazz club. Personally, I listen to a lot of rock music, and female vocal with small ensemble type music and particularly enjoy that kind of jazz club sound more than the orchestra type sound. In an attempt to sum it all up, I am looking for any cd player recommendations under $600 used which would match well with the musical fidelity components listed above and complements the grand pianos mid range warmth.

Thanks in advance
krazeeyk
For $600, buy a brand new Sony ES model or something. Why used? Anything that price $600 used is either very old (transport breakdown - mechanical wear) or it was not that good in the first place ($2000 when new - Hi-ended blow up price).
The Planet has been placed into many stereo systems over the past 4-5 years. It does need to have good ICs and have better isolation in some applications. Check out the many MB post and you will see it is a reliable and decent cdp. It is not going beat the more expensive players but it holds its own in its price point. I have the orginal and the 2000, never thought they were bright sounding and am very please with their performance. If they were bright sounding, I wouldn't have bought them because most of my cds are Jazz and it would have irritated me. The 2000 plays about 4-5 hours seven days a week and has been doing so for about 20 months w/o a glitch. My orginal is 4 1/2 years old and works perfect. You can always experiment and buy a used one from someone in your area and sell it if doesn't match up to your system.

Good luck and enjoy the music.
Hello All,

Thanks for all of the great responses. I have began looking into the arcam cd72 and wanted to know what the differences were between the cd72t and the cd72? Also, why does arcam call the cd72 the "diva" cd72. Is this just a name, or a different model number.

Thanks in advance
It's just a name. They have another line called FMJ, for "Full Metal Jacket." Dumb name, but great player!

The cd players with the "T" designation have full text readout on the display. I don't know why you would necessary want it. As far as I'm aware, that's the only difference.

There's more info at their web site:
http://www.arcam.co.uk
ALso...the planet is far from "bright"...it is afterall designed by Rega...notorious for being anti-digital...and probably always will be...they painstakingly collaborated with Burr-Brown to develop a more "analog" sound...and in many ways they were successful...