Warrenty and lifespan of cd players

I am wondering why it is that so many people here, there, and everywhere, seem to upgrade to expensive players when many such players seem to enjoy a very short lifespan relative to other components and have such poor warrentys. I am not being critical, but rather I am curious. I would love to own some of the cd players I have seen and read about, and I am more than willing to save for such a purchase because I do believe the source is very important to a system. But then practical considerations raise up like a red flag and I am discouraged. I guess what I am asking for is a deeper understanding, perhaps some debate that might provide some overview. any coments on this subject would be helpful
timf
Leo: I've had Magnavox cdp's, modified Magnavox cdp's, Philips cdp's, etc... For that matter, my Brother has had some of the same. All of them went down in a relatively short period of time. Even my latest Philips, the SACD 1000 took a dive about a week ago. Out of the blue, the unit started acting quirky. It wouldn't respond to input from either the remote or the buttons on the faceplate. One would have to shut the unit down and then power it back up in order to get a response out of it. After doing this for a few days, i turned the unit off and it wouldn't come back up. Since the unit is not even a year old, i sent it back to Philips for repair a few days ago. Needless to say, my track record with Philips is like yours with Sony. Having spoken to a few people that work in the repair industry about this, it seems that Philips has a reputation for lack of longevity with digital products.

For sake of comparison, i have two individual friends that are still running Sony units that i had originally purchased about 15 years ago. I passed them onto them because they were both reliable units that never gave me any problems. One of them was a changer, which is mechanically far more complex and flimsy, but it is still working. As such, i'll probably end up buying a Sony SACD / DVD if my SACD 1000 can't be repaired or takes another dive after this repair.

Maybe we should swap "Sony / Philips Kharma" : ) Sean
>
Every piece of Sony gear that I, or my friends, have owned has died early on.
It's funny, but consumer surveys that ask the questions:
What hi fi company is your favorite?
and
What hi fi company is your LEAST favorite?

Sony tends to be the most popular answer to BOTH questions.

Personally, I have never had a Sony product break on me aside from portable Sony CD players.

KF
The only CD player I have ever bought that didn't die pretty darn quick is a Rotel that Im still using. My Sony SACD (CE775) died in three years. Other cheap but decent brand cd players I have owned and buried include Philips, Yamaha, Marantz. My Theta PROCESSOR, with no moving parts, is going strong after 15 years or so. It may be a self-fulfilling thing, but I don't buy expensive cd players because my experience says that cd players don't last--the idea that expensive cd players DO last is not one that I want to test.
My wife still uses my original Magnavox CD player that has to be over 15 years old.