SACD Opinions: Gimmick? Like it? Don't? Why?

I would like to hear some opinions from those who have (or have heard) an SACD cdp in a quality system. I am considering it, but in the area I live its hard to get a good demonstration of it. So before I go out of my way I'm trying to figure out if I even want to bother. I guess I'm a little skeptical.

What sets it apart from regular cd sonically, if anything?

I know it has multi-channel capabilities, but how about standard 2-channel performance? Is it even intended to be used with a 2-channel system?

Does regular cd performance suffer in any way (generally) due to the presence of sacd capabilities?

If you can't really answer the questions above in an "all else equal" sense, and rather "it depends..." then what does it depend upon?
Thanks for any opinions, Jb3
jb3
I love SACD. I use it exclusively in a dedicated listening room in only a two channel system. I bought a Sony 333 in 2001. It replaced a Nakamichi CD2 that I had bought new in 90/91. It was a definite improvement in regular CD over the Nak, (it made the Nak sound kind of like a cracker jack plastic kazoo-and I love and own other Nak gear). In SACD it was a whole other ballpark. Very very clean but full. The people (and I am one of them) say analog like. Incidentally, I own and use two turntables and never gave up records/analog. I personally prefer SACD over analog. I just bought a SCD 777ES a month ago from another Goner and just love it. It has better depth and extends the image/soundstage farther out to the sides than the 333 on both CD/SACD on my Logans. I recommend you listen for yourself, but I honestly cannot understand why SACD which was introduced, marketed, and designed for the audiophile market doesn't have more boosters/public acceptance.

Nothing is perfect and recording quality varies on SACD just like redbook or records for that matter. However, on quality recordings I think it is a big step up from redbook.

I have a "good" setup, CJ tube pre & amp, Thorens and JVC tt's, Revox R to R, and Martin Logans. I am extremely impressed with SACD. Go Listen!!!

Have Fun
I have a Modded Philips 963SA playing throught an Anthem AVM20, Aragon 8008BB and B7W 805N Signitures. THe sound of SACD is an improvement over redbook CD. The problem I have with it is lack of software and high prices. Lately, some reasonably priced hybrids have hit the market.
I own about 50 SACDs, and have been involved in that format for about a year. Personally, I have found a lot of SACDs coming down to the $14.99 range, sometimes even more like $12.99 (especially for hybrids, as Prpixel astutely notes). Granted, you sometimes have to look around for decent pricing (various brick-and-mortar vs. the web), but most SACDs, except imports and two-disc sets, can be had for 15 bucks or less. See www.sacdinfo.com for information on all available discs, about 1500 in total and climbing quickly.
All I can say is WOW! The twinkling highs of Beck "Sea Change". The details previously lost and now found in Dylan "Blood On The Tracks". Even the unimprovable Roxy Music "Avalon" has been truly improved
If you have speakers with crystalline highs, jump right in. The "old" high-end ain't nothin' compared to even a cheap version of the "new" high-end. (I only have a 963SA).
And the multi-channel is a BIG plus when done properly.
Jb3-first of all if I were you,I'd do a search on SACD here on Audiogon,on previous posts.
You will find there various opinions on a lot of the questions you have,you will not find a definitive answer however.
In fact some threads were so heated they were deleted unfortunately destroying some decent debate.

Secondly what is a quality system?
There are those who will say that my £500 DVD/SACD player in my £8k system does not do justice to the format.
Perhaps if you did that search,you would see players in your price range debated.

Thirdly regarding does CD replay suffer,well again there is only debate surrounding that as well,it depends on your perspective and what is important in your price range.

From my perspective I believe the format has been debated to death on this forum and I have nothing new to say on it.
I tried it and got out of it.
If you need more info e-mail me direct but I think the majority of debate is still here in previous posts.