severe limiting factor

I just put together a system consisting of Thiel 3.5s, a Classe ca-200, an Anthem pre1-L, and an old Magnavox cd player. The cd player will be replaced soon, but for now I'm pretty disappointed. There is no soundstage or imaging to speak of. I have played with speaker placement and toe a little, but no luck.

Is it possible that the cd player is holding the system back from delivering what I'm looking for? Is there something else drastically wrong that I'm not aware of?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
ketchup
I just upgraded my CD player (see my above post) to a Sony DVP-555ES and boy, what a difference! I will reiterate my belief that you need to get those suckers about 8 feet apart and sit roughly 9 feet back, slightly toed in. Try out hanging some blankets at the first reflection point as others have suggested. Beg, borrow or buy a different CDP and see if that helps. I also agree with the assessment that nearfield listening with the Thiels isn't a good idea. According to Thiel, 8 feet is the distance where the time aligned sound begins to gel.

Good luck and keep us posted. FWIW my wife and I hated our Thiels when we first got them, totally unlistenable. Our first step was the Genesis Digital Lens which made it enjoyable. The Sony DVP-555ES is icing on the cake.
Newbee: After reading your response, it looks like we are pretty much on the same page. Thanks for re-affirming my faith in your good judgment : )

Other than that, i don't know what Kevin has done to try and work through this. He hasn't mentioned anything about checking polarity, etc... He may be frustrated and taking a break, i don't know. Sean
>
I would have to side with Newbee on this one...as an owner of time/phase correct speakers myself...I can only say this...they are NOT space savers...part of the appeal of the time/phase sound is their SPATIAL/ATMOSPHERIC qualities...and this does require some real estate....ideally 3-4 ft from ALL walls...but to address your specific situation Ketchup....on the short wall you are going to have some(serious) reflection problems...and if you choose the long wall...you are not going to have adequate space behind the speakers to creat any depth in relation to your listening position(8-9 ft removed)...have you contacted THiel by chance with your exact dimensions? THis is giving me a MIGRAINE! LOL!
ok, i'm back :)

i've been holding off on posting, but i'm sure appreciating all the info that's been presented here.

the reason i havn't looked into the phasing issue yet is that i ordered some spade connectors that just came yesterday. i should get around to putting them on in a few days, which is when i'll check for any phasing problems. thiels are a pain with the posts are under the speakers, so the fewer number of times i have to lay them down the better!

after i put the spades on i'll mess with placement some more, then i'm going to move the system into a room thats about twice as big to see what happens.

can anyone recommend some really good jazz recordings that give a nice soundstage and imaging (preferably live recordings)? i'm sure i can search the archives for some, but i'de like to listen to something that some of you might know so i can check back and let you know how it sounds.

thanks again for all the good info!