Computer Audio – Help Getting Started

I want to add a computer based audio source. My goals are to store a majority of my music collection on a computer accessed hard drive (with back up) and have the ability to easily play those digital files through my main system. I would also like the ability to copy selected music from the hard drive onto a small portable hard drive (or a thumb drive?) so I can play it at remote locations such as an office system. I will consider playback hardware (DAC's etc.) at a later time.

Before I start ripping desired CD’s to my computer, I suspect I will need to first decide which type of computer and operating system I will be using (Mac or Windows). Since I already have a home desktop and work laptop that use a Windows based OS, given that I am not interested in i-tunes, and knowing that Windows based laptops are about half the cost of a MacBook Pro, are there any compelling reasons why I should consider purchasing a Mac over a similar featured Windows based laptop as a dedicated computer for my audio?

Once this first decision is made, then I am sure to have more questions about specific software I should use for ripping and playback to preserve the highest quality sound possible, hopefully to match my CD source components. Thanks for any help provided.
mitch2
Levy - I wish I knew. Even the designers of the playback software admit that they dont know what is going on in the PC and Mac audio stacks that affects sound quality. They can only speculate.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
With regards to ripping - what is the difference between a dbpoweramp rip and a rip from iTunes w/ error correction turned on?
sorry Steve...i can't buy into that. like i said earlier, it's all a bunch of opinions with nothing to back it up on either side. to claim expertise and discredit other folks opinion as ignorant, you'd better have something to back it up with it (and you don't). so playback says one thing and another mfg say another....this doesn't not prove a thing. if you're partial to mac's, that's fine. however, when it comes to opinions, i'll trust my own after hearing both in my system. i have no doubt that mac's or pc's might work better in certain set-ups. i have alot of doubt when someone says one is flat out *always better*.... especially after hearing them for myself (with my gear of course).
Audioengr what are the major differences between J River and dbpoweramp if any? I'm more of a PC guy and although I sometimes use a Mac, I don't care much for them.