Gather around JoLida 100a owners

This is more just out of curiosity. I currently have as you might tell a JoLida with a level-2 mod from underwood. What I'm wondering is can an outboard dac be added and if so have any of you done so. The DAc that I'd consider would be the Prima D/A Converter 24/192 MKII. Do you guys think this would be an improvement.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Cheers

freakygreek

Allegro12,

Don't woory about the topic it's nice you stopped by and said hello.

I have to say that my music hasn't sounded this good so good that now I'm looking to upgrading again. In the next few months I'll be looking at adding some amps but it depends on what speakers I'll go with. So far I've listened to PMC's paired with Bryston and LINN amps. The next on the list is to hear B&W Sig 805's. My dealer also wants me to listen to a pair of LINN Speakers I forgot the model.

Cheers

Allegro12,

Are you saying that on top of the existing side panel dampening you added more. Mine already has dampening on the side panels and I believe underneath to. Oh by the way you once tried Hal-O how did they work out for you.

Cheers
Freaky....
I had also put some (as per a photo I found) on a few top surfaces....one was
on top of the platter cover....that's the one that I immediately took off....maybe it was the extra weight that muffled the sound...
As for the tube dampers...I heard no difference so I decided to stick with
the original metal covers...
Glad you are enjoying your Jolida....
I, too, am loving my system...paired with my Apogee Stages it is sweet and lush...until I find a CDP that equals that along with adding extra detail the Jolida is staying right here!
Freaky, Hehe, I know it, audio gear really knows how to exponentially increase in price.

Honestly I am fairly new to DACs myself. I havent heard that many. I do know that there are many competent makes and models to choose from, with widely varying sound characteristics.

A few DACs that come to mind are Enkianthus, Audio Note, and Electrocompaniet. Thats off the top of my head. There are tons more and certainly others here at the 'Gon have more experience than I do in this matter.

I am leaning toward a Bel Canto DAC2 to upgrade my Theta DSPro Basic I. I suspect it will not better my Jolida (I love the tubes) but, just like the Theta does now, it will offer an SS alternative. Some music just sounds better on SS. Honestly I am very happy with the Jolida. My current upgrade path is speakers or amp first, so it may be a while before I get around to upgrading the CDP.

Distortion,

As per my dealers suggestion amps are next on my plate with the pre-amp to follow. I noticed on your system that you have the Bryston SP1.7 how do you find 2 Channel play back and do you often use this feature. I myself am leaning towards B&W speakers in particular the 805 Sig paired with a LINN 2250 amp or a Plinius 9200 what do you think of these combo's. The LINN amp is the only one I can hear and that will be in the next two weeks as I'm waiting for my dealer to come up with a demo pair(805)for me to listen.

Cheers