Exemplar Denon 2900. WOW Need owner advice.

I am the very happy owner of a Exemplar Denon 2900. What an incredible player. For you other Exemplar owners:

Two questions.

1. Do you leave the unit in "Standby" mode or do a hard shutdown with the main power button? Anyone know what John Tucker recommends? My concern of course is heat and shortened tube life if left in standby.

2. Do you utilize the "pure direct" mode- shutting off video functions? Is it worth it to do so? (My Stereo rig is completely seperate from any video display...to use "Pure Direct" I'll have to drag a monitor in and temporarily connect the Exemplar 2900 to it to shut the video functions off.)

I emailed John Tucker with these questions,but I think he's working 28 hours a day building units- I have'nt heard back from him.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Dan
danlib1
Why do you need to use the remote to turn off the video and digital output? Use the front panel switch. Did the Exemplar mod remove this switch?
I asked this same question a couple of weeks ago and received no
response. I leave mine in stand-by mode. The tubes are
"off" in this mode as far as I can tell.

I use the Pure Direct mode by shutting off the video and digital output
and display as recommended to me by John. I honestly can't say, though,
that I hear a difference.

FWIW, I've found the Exemplar gets a bit hot in my cabinet (Salamander
with perforated door and open back), so I'd recommend keeping it on an
open shelf. John says the heat isn't an issue, but I still wonder. When I
had the player on top of my cabinet, heat was no issue. In fact, it only
got slightly warm.

Also, I recently noticed some vibration from the Denon during SACD
playback. Some quick research revealed this has been an issue with the
Denon 2900. It's not a John Tucker issue, and it apparently doesn't exist
on all the 2900 players. I had my Exemplar on a Sistrum SP-003 shelf,
and while it sounded excellent, the Sistrum exacerbated the vibration
issue to the point I was going to replace the drive. But, with the
Exemplar off the Sistrum, the vibration much less noticeable.
I'm glad that someone else can't hear any improvement with the digital/video off. Same here, before and after Underwood mod.
Tvad: Not to sidetrack the thread, but the logical deduction about your experience with the Denon and the Sistrum was that there was too much "coulomb friction" for the drive to work properly. Glad you were able to solve the issue with something as simple as replacing the support structure. Sean
>