Blues instrumentals?

I enjoy BB King, and others, primarily because of the bass and guitar. I could do without the vocals.

Anyone have recommendations regarding "instrumental only" blues, or even bluegrass?

I enjoy full-spectrum sound with hard-hitting bass and sharp-edged guitar. Either vinyl or CD would be fine.

TIA, Barrie
barrie
I'm not sure you can have blues without lyrics ... blues have to tell a story. That said some of my fav. blues are early Robert Cray (particularly Bad Influence and False Accusations) and Snooks Eaglin (Teasin You has an up to date sound).

Snooks does some instrumentals, and Robert Cray does none ... but then who doesn't like Cray's vocals ... I've often thought his vocals are even better than his guitar.
Sean,

I agree completely about Robert Cray. Between his guitar and clean vocals, he is my favorite artist, period. I have been considering going out to see him in Nevada in March (I'm in Upstate NY). The two albums you mention are wonderful. I think my favorites are "I Was Warned" and "Sweet Potato Pie".

He just makes me shake my head and say "Man-O-Man"...

Matty
FREDDIE KING!!!! Freddie basically made a signficant part of his career playing instrumentals. Many of them are excellent, and some are corny (like the surf stuff), but they all have his great playing. Hide Away, anyone??? 17 Hits, there's lots and lots on eBay at good prices.
Well...more deep soul than blues...but Booker T & the MGs are the definitive instrumental power soul band...hey...they even backed up Otis Redding...great band...MUscle Shoal rthylm section was shit hot too...
More to discover