Bed room systems?

Most will have their main two channel systems. Others may may have secondary home theatre set ups as I do too. Some have a combined approach. But what about the bed room? I use an Ipod and the wincy altec lansing portable speakers which are fine when I am on the road (and I am a lot) but I am considering something for the bedroom. Paramenters I am considering are reasonable cost, small footprint/space requirements, doesn't have to play lound not deep bass is a requiement but should sound good at low volume levels with capacity to reveal inner detail, remote control operable, wife acceptance level should be high, if tubes cannot get hot, digital only but with SACD hopefully, no thick power cords, speaker cable or interconnects, ....

any ideas or examples?
henryhk
Funny that you bring this up!!
I just put together a bedroom system. Click on my user name to take a look. Some pix are included. FWIW.
Henry, for something of an Anti-Rives-Not-how-It-Should-Be-Done-System, take a look at my virtual system. I have separate 2 channel and home theater systems in my bedroom. I actually like it!
Simplicity is the key to my bedroom system. A Roksan Kandy III integrated and a NAD C541i which decodes HDCD very well are the electronics. Current speakers are Vandersteen 1Cs which are probable a tad larger than you intend. I used several different bookshelves, Acoustic Energy Aesprit 300s were my favorite closely followed by Von Schwiekert VR-1s. Very satifying in a small room. Good luck with the search.
Make sure that your system can play well at low volumes. This is really key for a bedroom system and sometimes difficult to achieve, as so many speakers need power to sound at or near their best. Speaker choice, in general, can be difficult as you will probably need to compromise (a lot) as to where you can place the stereo. This may mean near rear wall or inside a cabinet placement for the speakers. If this is the case, you may need to consider acoustic suspension speakers (preferable) or front ported speakers (not so bad) only. NHT makes some excellent acoustic suspension monitor sized speakers (SB1 & SB2).

Also, consider going with a quality 2 channel receiver or refurbishing a quality vintage receiver. Having FM available to you as a source is a nice to have when background music is desired and you do not want to play DJ. Receivers like the new Rotel RX 1052 or NAD C740 or even the Denon DRA 395 would work out nicely.

If you check out my system, I have evolved to a vintage Marantz 2240 receiver paired with a Music Hall MMF CD25 CD player and a pair of Omega Super 3 loudspeakers. The Omegas come in close to a dozen stunning wood and laminate finishes ... so matching to your decor should not be an issue. The Omegas are interesting in that they employ one full-range speaker ... super efficient and no crossovers. The sound is very lifelike and especially enjoyable with the types of music that typically get played in a bedroom (attempting to be a gentleman here folks).

Regards, Rich
ModWright Sony 999ES w/Signature Truth mods
Ming Da MC-7R preamp w/Response Audio Signature Plus mods
Ming Da MC805-A monoblocks (stock, for now)
Zalytron Phenomenal 3 loudspeakers

Sweet music with seemingly unlimited SET power from the 805 tubes - unreal bass.

Plus, the 805s make great night lights and space heaters!

Good luck with your bedroom system.

jb