How Important Is The Cdp?

Hi,

My current set-up includes PSB Stratus Mini's speakers, Cambridge AZUR 540 A and a Toshiba 3950 DVD which i use for cd playback only. I know this is a mismatch of gear, but i originally hadnly planned on using this equipment with each other, then shortly after had some money troubles so im stuck with this gear for awhile.

My system sounds OK at times, its somewhat musical but alot of the time the sound is jsut too harsh and fatuiging- guitar harmonics are especially grainy and shimmery, vocals seem to be yelling at me way too much and overall the sound seems unfocused and veiled.

My room is pretty small, about 10x10 with an open closet and Jon Risch acoustic treatments directly behind each speaker, side walls arent really treated at all. I know my room isnt the greatest, but somehow i get the sence that the room isnt the main problem im having, sure it could use alot of improvement but the bad sound seems to be coming directly from the speakers.

Im sort of confused on what is causing the harshness, some people say its my cdp, others say my amp and then theres a few who think its my speakers interacting with the room.

This brings me to the question on how important is the cdp? Ive heard many people say that the cdp makes very little to no difference and wont tame the harshness i speaker of. Others say the source is most important and that what im hearing is my speakers producing the crappy sound my cdp is feeding them.

Would a better cdp, or say a 1000$ DAC improve my system to the point where the harshness i speaker of will be mostly eliminated, or will it just show more weaknesses of my amp. Or will a better cdp just make my system only slighty less harsh by only taming some of the digital glare of cdp's?

What do you guys think? cdp causing the harshness, or is it the amp?
dave123456
The CDP is very very important, but I couldn't agree more that the system needs to have the proper synergy. If you had a few dollars I would definitely use a true CD player the Music Hall is a giant killer. It sounds like there are numerous other potential problems. Fatuiging "yelling" is a combination of probably clipping the amp into low efficiency speakers. Of course poorly recorded software will yeild that kind of sound.
In your system $1000 for DAC or another desired CDp should be invested solely towards speakers since it will improve it better for each buck spent.

$-spent-for-CDp/$-spent-for-speakers is approximately 1/10 scale if especially talking of CD-players above $500 new.
Marakanetz,

The original poster already has good speakers. Following your argument, since he has a $100 (list price) CD player currently, he should have $1000 speakers (1/10 ratio), right? Well, his speakers are actually 11X more expensive than his CD player right now. I think his speakers are just fine.

Also my system is obviously misconfigured following you logic. My CD play cost $1500, amp $1000 and speakers $2500 (all new, list prices). Are you saying I should buy $15,000 to match my CD player? Or are you saying I should only use a $250 CD player with my lowly speakers? I don't think so...

BTW, my current system is the best combination I've ever owned.

Lastly, one of the best systems I ever heard uses a digital front end that is 10X more expensive than the amp and 3X more expensive than the speakers.

I don't believe that any price ratio is going to fit every situation.

Enjoy,

TIC
I agree with TIC on two points: The original poster's speakers are fine, and dollar ratios for components are pretty much meaningless. But I also agree with Marakanetz's general point, which is that speakers are far more critical than digital sources, and returns to scale diminish rapidly for the latter.

As for the original poster, a new CD player is not going to solve his room problems.

bob
OK, I tried to respond to everyones post...

Rarl- Yes buying a 1000$ is a little extreme,but i was just using this as an example of what might tame the harshness in my system. And I must note that the treble is not whats bothering me- its actually the thing i like the most- its more in the midrange, especially with guitar harmonics. Thanks for the recommendations, the Music Hall looks nice.

Gmood1- What is this sound refiner you speaker of? Does this have similiar results as placing ferrite clamps on the AC power cord? Kind of like filtering things out? And I disagree that my speakers are causing the harshness, the harshness seems to be upstream , as if my speakers are magnifying it. Id like to hear a single driver full range system though...

Lazarus28-"think of it like this - nothing in the audio chain can improve the signal. all it can do is degrade it as little as possible. so, you want to start with the best possible signal you can." This logic makes sence, and part of the reason why when people recommend my speakers are too blame , when theyre relatively good, and im using a pretty cheap amp and cdp, is astonishing.

Gregadd- No offense taken , I obviously agree with you that something is wrong or else i wouldnt of made this thread. And im kind of curious as to why youd recommend nad? As far as i know Cambrdige and Nad are in the same level, so this wouldnt make sence to me to upgrade to nad. Also, you are correct ive been bitten by the audio bug = )

Xiekitchen- Thanks for the recommendation, but the next player i get will hopefully be more reliable than the toshiba ( ive heard bad things about its reliability).

Im lazy right now so ill respond to the rest later.