Were to go after a Rega Planet 2000?

Hello,

I have a planet 2000 and enjoy its sound. I like its tone, PRAT, timber etc... but I want more of it. I find that the Rega lacks authority when playing. It still sounds like a CD player (and a CD player at that) but not live music. I want something that has the good qualities of the Rega, but just expands on them. I want a player to take control and give me music which leaves little to none to complain about.

I really like my friends Wadia, but I simply can't afford one.
I love the way it portrays the music.

My budget is $750-$1000 plus what ever I can sell me Rega for.

I have been suggested the Sony DVP-9000es. From what I have read it is reasonably priced and sounds good. But it's a Sony, and I am unsure about it.

I will consider everything, my only request is no tubes. I think they are better served in the preamp. Thoughts and opinions welcome.

Cheers,
Nick
nickway
You might be able to find a Classe CDP-1 for under $1K. Kinda like a Rega Planet 2000 on steriods.
BTW I went from the Sony DVP 9000 ES to Muse model 9 gen 3 and am so happy. It is an extremely musical player, neutral and sonicly rich at the same time. You could also try Meridian 508/20 for about $1000.
Check out the Cairn Fog v2.0 24/192 player. I think this is what your looking for. There's a Review at 6moons.com
Enjoy the Music,
The Sony DVP9000ES is a mediocre redbook CD player. Not offensive, just not good. I did not listen to SACD when I owned mine, so I can't comment on SACD playback. It was a good DVD-Video player, but not exceptional. I doubt that you would prefer the Sony over the Planet for redbook CD playback.

That said, I can suggest the current Quad 99 CDP (not the old Quad 99). I have owned lots of players (but not the AA Prima :( ) and prefer the Quad to most that I have heard. It is an Absolute Sound Magazine recommended component and has gotten many rave reviews.

The Quad doesn't look like much, but it sounds great! It list for $1499 new and sells for about $850-1050 used. Make sure it is the current Quad 99 CDP (the "P" is important) and not the old Quad 99 CD player. There is a night/day difference as the original 99 was contract built and the new Quad 99 CDP is a Quad design.

Enjoy,

TIC
What about a Rega Jupiter?
If you like what the planet does just want more, within your budget you should look at:

Rega Jupiter
Naim CD 5, CD 5i, CDX
Densen 400 plus (a sleeper)
Exposure

Good Luck!