cdp digital volume control or preamp?

Hello Gon'ers!
I am currently running my Music Hall Maverick SACD player, which has a remote volume control (digital) directly into a Sonic Frontiers Power 2 amp. It sounds very good, but I wondered if I would get better sound going through a good pre-amp. What do you all think? Some suggestions for pre-amps that match well with my existing gear would be welcome, too.

Cheers.
tfkaudio
If you are looking for an inexpensive solution, Creek makes a passive preamp with 2 inputs and remote control. I have no idea how it performs. It is $450 new at Audio Advisor and they have a 30 day money back guarantee. Another inexpensive solution would be a used Adcom GFP-750 passive/active preamp for about $600.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=CROBH22&product_name=OBH-22%20Remote%20Passive%20Preamp
Thanks for your input, everybody. I'm gonna go with the Blue Circle BC21.1. I'll let you know how it sounds.

Cheers.
If you search 'passive' here at a-gon (classified not chat) you will find a couple of passive preamps so cheap they might be fun to play with, the Channel Islands and the Luminous Axiom. Just a thought. By the way Lousyreeds, tfkaudio mentioned that his volume control was digital but his question was not specifically about the pros and cons of digital volume controls but also whether to add a preamp. The thread seemed to morph in that direction. Thanks for being there to correct me anyway.
It seems to me that the digital volume control direct into an amp, in this case, is a little too bright and harsh. I am currently playing through my Birdland Odeon-Ag DAC with far more satisfying results. The drawback, as I have said, is that I can't play SACD in this configuration. I've played SACD's using the digital volume control, but can't stay in the room very long for all the harshness of the sound. If I play the redbook layer through the DAC, I'm happy to listen for hours. I'm hoping that the pre-amp will allow me to get the resolution of the SACD without the harshness.

Cheers.
In my experience, a preamp has always improved the sound - especially dynamics and 3D soundstaging. Give it a try and see! Arthur