Are CD clubs a good deal?

I have never joined a CD/Record club. Anyone belong to one and is there a catch?
klhender
I plan on enrolling in BMG, but the last time I went online to make my selections I was really dissapointed with the interface. It was very poorly organized for exploring. I'll have to check to see if it's improved at all.
I was once a member of BMG, and there are some price benefits of "sticking with", as opposed to "hitting and running". Given the selection they offer in the initial "take 12 for 99 cents", or whatever the current deal, I can't imagine anyone finding that many recordings they liked to have done so more than a time or two. I had trouble finding 12 good ones the first time!

I have mostly older CD's that I bought from BMG, some sound alright, others lousy. But then, such is the case with all recordings. I have never done an A/B between a BMG and one bought "from the store" to see if there was much difference. Has anyone else?

One thing, though. If you do quit, they will hound ceaselessly for two years, or more, to rejoin.
Never did a comparision but a number of years ago, they send out a customer service survey and I told them that I bought enough CDs each year and that I hated getting the reply card. When I forgot to reply, I would call them up and get a free shipping label to send the CD back to them and get a credit for the cost. They no longer require me to send back the reply card. I thought that was simply great and have kept with them for years. I find the sound of the CDs I have purchased sound very good on my system.
Has anyone had experience with the Musical Heritage Society? I just got an offer for all Beethoven's 9 symphonies, Berlin Philharmonic/von Karajan, for 99 cents each, no further buying requirements.
I found it interesting the threads about signing up over and over. Columbia House has been trying to get me to cancel my membership and start all over. They know that the only time I ever buy any are when they have one of their "Buy one, get 2 free, take unlimited CD's at 2.99 sale". That's when I load up. Even with s&h, the average cost drops below $7. And this is before the ones I earn with freebie points. I have not had to return a card in years.

As far as sound quality, I personally don't hear much of a difference any more.