low efficiency speaker vs. high efficiency speaker?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of high efficiency speaker vs. low efficiency speaker? Does it mean that 93db efficient speaker will sound better than 86db?
128x128marakanetz
Speaker sensitivity is not directly related to sound quality. One advantage of higher sensitivity designs is that they can be match with lower output amplifiers. High quality, high wattage amplifiers are much more expensive than mid to low output amplifiers, whereas a high efficiency speaker is no more or less expensive than a similar quality low effieciency design. Remember, any speaker design involves making trade-offs.
There are two groups of audiophiles I believe on this subject. # 1. is the high efficient spkr. low watt amp guys.#2 are the low efficient spkr. high power guys. They both have good reasons why one is better than the other. I personally like somewhere in between,20-70 watt tube amp and 89-93 db spkr.The more efficient a speaker is,the louder it will play per watt, some believe the high efficient is thin and bright. Some believe the low efficient needs gobs of power to get them to sound good. You will have to come to your conclusion on this. Kind of like tubes vs solid state.
i think the major current emphasis on high effiency is due to the interest in low power set amps. you can experience some beautiful sounds with such. however one of the major potential practical down sides to the use of high effiency speakers is the demand of having a very quiet pre-amp and source - any residual humm or other noise, tube hiss for example, come to mind. i prefer lower effiency and higher power.
No. It means that the 93db speaker will play louder than the 86db at the same volume setting on yr pre (or yr integrated). Officially and usually, the db(a) rating documents the intensity of the sound reproduced @ 1 volt/1/2 kHz signal (unless otherwise specified).

Accordingly, if you have a low output (watt) amp that you love, it will probably drive the 93db (i.e. the sound quality will be according to speakers & amp specs) but not the 86db (i.e., the sound will be anaemic, NOT according to expectations).

So, matters of taste and sound quality remain. And, although "efficient" speakers are easier to drive (i.e. will play some music w/a low power amp) they can take the mikey out of the electronics in no-time. Speakers are often partial to (lots of) current...

Also, different speaker designs sport different efficiency ratings: horn-loaded ones have high db measurements. Boxes vary from OK to dismal and abysmal, and statics often have low-ish efficency. Fortunately the present trend favours efficiency... as equipment is revealing and our ears critical, and who can afford a 250W fully linear, hi-speed, pure class A or whatever, razor-edge precise on harmonics amp to drive 79db beauties.

Hence the practical advantage of the 93db. There's more, either way, I'll let the cognoscenti elaborate.

BUT I have found that, efficent or not, speakers require quality and horsepower anyway... i.e. current or voltage (i.e. amp power supply). Which kind of nullifies the efficency effect...

Cheers!
The advantage (all things being equal however...i.e, quality attempts at speaker designs here!!!) of higher sensitivity speakers overall, is that they usually have a much better dynamic efficiency and "snap" to em than lower counterparts!!! Super efficient horn designs (just go to any THX certified cinema where they use Horn speakers and listen!!!), like Avantegardes at 100db sensitivity and such, are way way dynamic and effortless sounding!...the dynamics just slap you in the chest with authority!..even with low powered amps driving em!...just more efficient and sensitive overall! The lower sensitivity speakers ask a whole lot more out of an amp for similar results!...but at that point, your already running out of the limits (and steam) for the drivers on the lower sensitivity speakers for the same volume or out put! For instance...the 87 db sensitive speakers, is running 3 time harder to try to match the volume of what a 93db sensitive speaker is trying to achieve!!! There's so much more head room and "acceleration" left in the 93 db speaker, that it's just effortlessly not hardly even working with much effort!...that's why it sound more powerfull and effortless dynamically overall than the lower 87db designs, and so forth...
Anyway, Unless your talking about "powered" or "active" speakers, which are more efficient as well, in that their amps are more efficient when they are dirrectly on top of the drives of a speaker, driving them dirrectly, your alway's going to get more dynamic finness and effortlessness out of a more sensitive design! Oveall however, you must look at the quality of the gear, and your system your running! If your running the speakers in a pre/pro set-up, using a subwoofer and thus bi-amping your system (say with lower sensitivity speakers), then it's effectively more sensitive than otherwise would be the case with only your mains running!...so it could depend. But, on their own, a more sesitive speaker simply has a dynamic advantage over a lesser sensitivity design!...