Quads or Maggies?

Which speaker really does it for you? The Quad 988 or the Magnepan 3.6? And why?
kinsekd
Just to add to Detlof's excellent advice - I have found that the reaction to Maggies is often a "love or hate" thing. Something to do with its particular (slight) coloration bugging some people but being irrelevant to others. You have to try them, or get them at a great price, otherwise the risk is high.
Just a small addition to Detlof & Red (good to see you back, Red!), I have found big Maggies more system dependent than Quads -- i.e. I have made 63s sing MUCH more easily than the Maggie. Pls note however, this was with the old 3's...
I don't have as much experience with the Maggies but the original Quad 57 (if in the right condition and driven properly) is awfully hard to beat and a truly special treat if you have never experienced their magic. I have heard that the 988 may be close to this classic.
Given that the 988 is pretty overpriced for what it is (a 63 with more bass, essentially), I'd have to vote for the Maggie. But still, the better deal and better sounding speaker is the Martin Logan CLS.

-Ed
Hi Gregm. I have always had something of a sweet spot for the 63s, and I must admit, have not liked as many Maggies as I have disliked.

When my wife first met me I brought her home and there, one third across the lounge, stood a pair of 63s. Somehow we got past that point in our relationship, at least in part because she loved the music those 63s made. And you are absolutely right, I was able to make them sound pretty good even when they had to find a place somewhat closer to the wall.

That was a long time ago and I drove them with an old Perreaux 100W Class A amp, of which only 25 were made, and mine had upgraded passive components. It was about the sweetest and smoothest amp I ever heard, but a little dark and lacking in dynamics. But the midrange was "to die for" and the marriage with the Quads was really something on voices and chamber music.