Bookshelf Speakers For 350 Or Less?? new & used

Hi,

A female friend asked me to recommend some bookshelf speakers for $350 or less, but I'm not too familiar with many of those models (I've heard the Mission 731i at $200-ish, but not much else). Which used or new (perhaps manufacturer direct?) models would you folks recommend in that price range?

Her receiver / CD combo is Sony / JVC mass market stuff. She listens to a lot of classical and some acoustic-based rock/pop. Most of her listening is probably background while she's cooking or roaming the house, but she is a musician and she does *listen*.

Any info would be appreciated, including recommendations that cost less than $350.

Thanks,

Phil
phild
I have a pair of Mirage FRX-3's that cost about $350/pr new.
They sound pretty darn good for that money, especially with decent electronics behind them.
NHT Super Ones are also great for the money.
NHT Super Ones. They actually put out some really good sound for the money. I used to own a pair for my second room, and according to some of my female friends, they liked the way they looked too.
B&W DM302 used under $200, or the new DM303 which is $300 new I think. The DM303 just won the european speaker of the year award. The DM302 has been the lowest priced speaker with a Stereophile recommendation for years.
For $350 get a kit speaker and build the cabinets yourself or hire a carpentar. Even if your contract a carpentar $50 for cabinets and then $300 on drivers and crossovers you'll walk away 10 times better. A pair of NHT Superones have got about $3 worth of crossover parts in each one. And even compared to their competition I've never liked'em (and I've owned the superzeros). The Murphy Blaster MB1 can be had for $170 in parts using the GR research driver and I can't remember which tweet he stuck in. But the Hiquphon OW1 tweeter can be substituted, much nicer, and they run $90 each. So you're still looking at around $350. And you won't get anything for $350 commerically with a tweeter like that. hiquphon.com maybe or its under zalytron.com who has kits too. The also have a Dillon acoustics design using the hiquphon for a little more. The Murphy Blaster website is down but madisound.com chat forums would have the new link buried somewhere if it exists, I know mr. murphy posts on there. The design is just as important as the parts but most of the designs out there are quite good and will smoke anything commmercally by virtue of better components. speakerbuilding.com even had a nice project called the esquire that was only $150 using all vifa drivers in a two way. But I would build something myself/herself for that, get that custom finish too.