"Stacked" Advents hookup

Any one recall how to wire stacked Advents??? I don't want to melt down my amp!!! And, how much better are they in this famous set-up?? I have recently read on the net that four Advents(two separate columns) can sound awesome. Please advise
sunnyjim
I was speaking with a friend about stacked Advents the other day. I was curious to know if he had tried them with the top speaker upside-down, so the tweeters would be together in the center and he said he had not. I thought it would have been interesting to do that and see how it compared to the bottom-to-top configuration that he used. Now you can try it and see. It may help to put them on short stands to get them off the ground a bit and to put a vibration-absorbing maretial between the cabinets for isolation.

I don't remember if the Advents were 4 or 8 ohm speakers, but if they were 8 ohms nominal, then most amps would do fine with a simple parallel hookup. If they were 4 ohms nominal (I believe the small Advents were, not the large) then you would need to consult the amp's manufacturer because a parallel hookup would result in less than 2 ohms impedance at some frequencies and not all amps can handle that. In that case you could always try a series hookup, but then you'd likely need more amp power.

Happy experimenting and let us know how you fare.
Hi Sunnyjim, The parallel hookup was the way I did it when I had them. I did not invert the top pair. The bass of the setup was pretty good and the overall impression was positive of the setup from memory. How they would sound to me today is another matter. My guess is they would be somewhat "thickish" sounding. To answer your question, stacking Advents was a pretty large difference (for the better)over a single pair.......Frank
They were(and in this case are)8 ohms, so parallel is fine.
Do invert the top one(tweeter to tweeter) and given the amount of money invested, still do sound pretty good today, but frap is right, a little thick is the term. But for the money, not bad. Hard to put on tilted stands though.
I had stacked Advents in the mid/late seventies and YES you do invert the Advents so tweeters are close together in the fashion of Dunlavy SCIVa etc. I ran them with a Dynaco 400 which, for their day, was a nice combo for a person in their early 20s.
Oh my! (that's what us old farts say a lot). A very pleasant trip down memory lane. Helped a friend of mine in the 70's set up a pair of stacked Advents. We ran them in parallel with no problem with his HK 930 receiver. Based upon what I did with my EPI 100s, we stacked them on their sides with the tweeters inboard, and the whole array plopped on top of concrete blocks to get them up a couple of feet off the floor. This got rid of a lot of the tubbiness. We then towed them in a few inches. This resulted in a wall to wall, floor to ceiling soundstage that could play loud as hell with slam. We then went over the top and hooked up MY HK 930 for true dual(actually quad) mono operation. Oh my!!