Primer on horns

About 9 years ago (when very poor) I remember listening to some Klipsch speakers (around $1000) in a dealer here in Austin and was blown away. Now I find myself with a system I am really happy with (Kef RDM3's, Sony SCD777-ES, Marantz ppre/power) but I have some money that is waiting to be spent and I was thinking I would like to investigate some Klipsch horn type speakers with some tube amplification. I will be keeping my main system, but I have a dedicated listening room (11*18, 8ft ceiling) where I can have a system off to the side for fun. I want to spend around 1000-1500 (second hand) age/looks isnt an issue.
I listen mainly to classical (small and large scale) and jazz.
I have had great luck getting good advice in this forum before, so wondered if anyone has tips/recomendations or good places to go and get Horns 101 (if you see what I mean).
Thanks
peteinvicta1
Pete: How about http://melhuish.org/audio/horn.htm#theory

This site also has a very good forum dedicated to single driver speakers.

At www.welbornelabs.com/recomendspeaks.htm there is a great list of effecient speakers, many of them horns, with pictures and links to the mnf's page.

Hope this is a little help.

I remain,
Since horns are so efficient, you have to have an amp that runs pure Class A or is at least biased pretty highly. Since horns take such low power to play at reasonable levels, you will hear the low level switching on many Class AB amps. Many low powered tube amps are run strictly in Class A, making them free from switching distortion. Hence, they compliment the characteristics of horns quite well. The switching noise is what tends to make horns sound "grating" or "harsh". That and the fact that many metal based horns ring like crazy. Plastic horns do the same thing, but at a different frequency range. Knowing that, one can easily damp or minimize the effect of the horn throat itself and cure much of the problem.

With all of that in mind, i would look for older gear and begin to tinker. You have the PERFECT opportunity to do that here. Spend a little bit and learn to "upgrade" components on your own. Not only will you see first hand what it takes to make things "tick", you'll be rewarded with a system that blows smoke for pennies on the dollar. You will also be able to say with as much pride as you can muster "i built this".

Don't let a prior lack of "hands on" scare you away. There are TONS of good DIY websites and kits out there with plenty of people willing to help. Try checking out the bottlehead and tube forums over on AA. As "Clueless" mentioned, there are also many other forums dedicated to tube / horn combo's, so you've got plenty of info and research ahead of you. If you do take the type of approach that i mention, you'll be in for some of the best music and most fun that you've ever had with hi-fi. Sean
>
Absolutely check on "Pi" speakers: http://dsb.8m.com/pipics/pipics.htm For more info also visit AudioAsylums "pi" forum for discussion with the owners of these horn based speakers.