So how many people are using subwoofers

with full range floorstanders? I need just a little more bass weight out of my system and have vascilated between REL subwoofer or upgrading my amp from Conrad Johnson MF-2200 to an MF-2500. 60-70% of the music doesn't need a sub,but that other 30% keeps me off balance. Is the amp upgrade going to give me more bass weight (along with other benefits) or should I just go for the sub? I think I know the answer but would like to hear other opinions.
existing system=
CJ PFR pre
CJ MF-2200 amp
Theta Miles cdp
Silverline Sonata speakers
Homegrown silver lace ic's
MIT-2 bi-wire
128x128artemus_5
No contest, get the REL. You have no idea how much you're missing, and any amount of words we can say here won't even begin to describe the improvement you are in for. The only people who aren't gaga over RELs are those who haven't gotten them yet or who haven't bothered to spend the time to get them broken in and tuned properly (both of which take a long time). Suggestions: 1. get the biggest REL ST series you can afford, the performance goes up dramatically with each and every step up. For me, one Stadium is the minimum. 2. On a performance per dollar basis, get one bigger one rather than two smaller ones. In other words, one Stadium will significantly outperform two Stratas if you can find a location for it that gives a smooth room loading. Of course, on an absolute basis, two is better. 3. Set the crossover point a LOT lower than you think you should, typically by half an octave or more. If your speakers are good to 45 Hz, start the sub at around 30 Hz (!) and play with it from there. Good listening!
I say change the amp and forget the sub. I have never had good luck with sub/speaker integration. It might be my room. I'm not sure. But I do know, the sub systems I have heard sound too fake to me. Granted, I haven't heard any 5000 dollar subs. But even the paradigm servo 15, which is a great sub, should be kept for the theater. That's my opinion anyway.
Hi Artemus_5; There already appears to be distinct disagreement about subs. I don't know how low the Sonata speakers are rated for-- and that is important here, but if rated to 30 HZ or so, a powerful solid state amp might be all you need, but it would be my inclination to go for good quality sub(s) if you really lust after deep, tight bass.

I recently got Vandersteen 5 speakers that have true built in subs that go to 22 HZ, are very tunable, and have built in 400 wpc amps to drive the subs. I have never heard such great bass, and I love them. But a friend uses REL subs with MG 3.6s very successfully. I think Karls (above) gives good advice.

Why don't you audition some systems with subs and see what you think? Good Luck. Craig
I have full range Aerial Acoustic model 10T speakers that product solid base down to about 24Hz. But I also have a Triad Platinum 18inch sub for the lowest octaves. It makes a difference, it's quite musical, and it's amazing just how much low level musical information is out there (whether classical, pop, folk, movie scores, etc.).

Highly recommend a good musical sub but it should definitely be larger than 10 or even 12 inches if you really want it to reach the lowest of the lows. Rarely a 12inch is useful unless it's a very high quality sub like Aerial's SW12.

More than any other audio component, make certain you know what you're buying because most subs have no musical definition or proper authority and only go boom-boom as the rock the foundation of your house like an earthquake.

REL is the way to go for a musical audiophile subwoofer. There are other good ones like Vandersteen and VMPS, but the REL is so easy to integrate with any system. And if you ever want to step up the a better REL the resale value and ease of resale is very good.