What's the best mid-range driver available?

I'm thinking of trying the DIY route for a pair of full-range speakers. In your opinion, what is the BEST mid-range driver available and the best place to buy it?
Thanks for all your comments for the tweeter!
Thanks and happy listening!
myraj
Here is a link for the spec's on the ATC
http://web.archive.org/web/20010411204809/www.atc.gb.net/sm75-150.htm
ALE drivers from Japan are cost-no-object products. Their 7550DE lower midrange and 4550DE upper midrange compression drivers are approx. $2,500 each without horn. Their 1260 upper bass/lower midrange driver is $10,000 each. Adding an appropriate Tractrix horn (Sierra Brooks) could add another $2k each.

TAD's 4001 compression driver retails for $1,666 each and is no slouch either.

Both of these make the ATC look/feel like a small toy.
Hey Steve, did you sneak out or something ??? Good to see that they let you out of the Asylum for a change : )

Try using a pair or two of Quads ( or something very similar ) as midranges. Actively cross them with steep slopes and be done with it.

As to using horns, there is a lot to be said for their dynamics and ability to be easily driven. An amp that is coasting will always sound better than an amp that is being pushed. Sean
>
Hi Sean,

I'm using Innersound Eros in my bedroom system and there is definitely something to be said for electrostatics and midrange quality, especially for guitar, harpsichord, and other plucked instruments. But to hear a trumpet well-reproduced, I have to either crank up my N801's or listen to Magnetar's NE TAD/Altec-based system.

The ALE drivers are featured in the latest version of the big French mansion system at the aca.gr website, having displaced all the JBL pro drivers. That ALE compression driver with the 200 lb. Alnico magnet is a monster.
ATC makes the best midrange driver in the world. No competition. Too bad they will not sell just their MidRange driver, you have to buy the entire speaker.