Speakers Needed: Audiophile Taste - Low Budget

I am looking to upgrade my current HT system's speakers (fronts & center). I have the taste for high-end speakers however, I have 3 children & a new home. In other words I can not afford much, $500-$1000. I am looking for bookshelf speakers for mains & a center channel. I would like to get the best possible sound I can, (clearity & accurate tones - easy to drive). My receiver is a Sony STR-BD930. I have a good sub & rears. I prefer to purchase used so I can get the best speakers for my money.
Can some steer me in the right direction? Any comments are encouraged.
pfchico6868
hI
Check out The AAD line of speakers by phil Jones on our showcase on audiogon ...

they are wonderful affordable speakers ...

Good Listening
stephen
Quest For Sound
Please bear in mind that most "bookshelf" speakers sound best on stands out from the walls. As such, they can present a hazard to clumsy little ones (not to mention that many of the stands have ferocious spikes). Even on shelves they must be well secured as they can do much more harm than most books. Inexpensive floor standers can be tetherd in such a way so that the speaker will be supported by nearby walls and prevented from falling away from the very same walls. Good luck.
I have used Vandersteen 1B's as my mains for HT for years and they are absloutely fantastic! (You can pick up 1B's or 1 C's used betwen $300 - $500) Small footprint and great value for money (floor standing). For you center get the Vanderteen VCC1 ($549 new - I got mine used for $350). For about $800 you can get a great set of front mains and center. Good luck!
Used for around a $1000 you could get a pair of the original B&W CDM-1 and the CDMC Center; or the CDM-1SE/CDMC-SE.
You might try to find a used pair of NEAR 20M's. A very good speaker for the money. You should be able to find them for about $500 used