Speakers Needed: Audiophile Taste - Low Budget

I am looking to upgrade my current HT system's speakers (fronts & center). I have the taste for high-end speakers however, I have 3 children & a new home. In other words I can not afford much, $500-$1000. I am looking for bookshelf speakers for mains & a center channel. I would like to get the best possible sound I can, (clearity & accurate tones - easy to drive). My receiver is a Sony STR-BD930. I have a good sub & rears. I prefer to purchase used so I can get the best speakers for my money.
Can some steer me in the right direction? Any comments are encouraged.
pfchico6868
Used for around a $1000 you could get a pair of the original B&W CDM-1 and the CDMC Center; or the CDM-1SE/CDMC-SE.
You might try to find a used pair of NEAR 20M's. A very good speaker for the money. You should be able to find them for about $500 used
Try and find a pair of the Sound Dynamics 300ti loudspeakers on the net. It may be a difficult task, but if you are patient and end up purchasing these speakers, you won't look back. I have a pair connected to about $11,000 worth of electronics. . .they are that good!!! New they ran about $650, but were usually discounted to around $450 or so.

Happy hunting and good listening!
How about B&W DM303's and the LCR center. You can pick up all three of these speakers for Under $700 new from an authorized dealer! Dollar for dollar I think these speakers have the most accurate mids and highs on the market. I own a pair of B&W nautilus 802's, which I use in the main system, and a pair of MD302's which are in the wifes system in the bedroom. Every once in a while I steal the wife's DM302's and hook then up in the main system. I am just amazed at the sound that comes from these little speakers. The highs and mids are so clear and they image incredibly. They need to be paired with a subwoofer because there is nothing below 80 hz. Also, you might consider a pair of B&W LM1's or LM2's. I have a pair of LM1's mounted above my desk, on the wall, in my office. I use a little parasound zamp (30 watts/ch) hooked to a creative labs audigy soundboard in my computer. I find my self listening for hours while I surf the web. Again, great highs and mids and soudstaging. If your getting the impression that I am a B&W fan fanatic, then you are correct. Over the years I've owned speakers from Conrad-Johnson (synthesis LM302's, Lm200's), Vanderstein (2b's and 3C's), A/D/S (m15's), Kef(reference 3's), NEAR (50's), Mirage (m1's), and Accustat(spectra 22's and 2+2's). I have been the most satisfied with the B&W's and will be purchasing another pair when the upgrade bug hit's again.

P.S.-The DM303's and LCR use the Nautilus tweeter technology.

http://www.bwspeakers.com/
If you're going to continue to use the Sony receiver I'd stay away from metal tweeters given your price range as most will tend to sound overly bright and/or harsh. I've seen Soliloquy 5.0s available for around $500 used and they do offer a center channel as well, but they need a few feet from the front wall to open up. They are relatively efficient and although detailed are more forgiving given their silk dome tweeter so they may make for a nice match with your receiver, and they're good enough that you can upgrade your other components around them for the future. Failing this you might check out Axiom speakers, specifically their M3ti($275/pr.) fronts and 100(around $200) center channel--you can try them at home for 30 days risk free and they have gotten great reviews. Best of luck.

Tim