Ribbon Tweeters

I've noticed that ribbon tweeters don't have the range of dome tweeters (50 khz v. 20 khz). However, people have said that ribbon tweeters produce a cleaner and more accurate high end. Even if it can produce a cleaner high, wouldn't the lack of range limit its accuracy?
biscayne

I would encourage you to go ahead and audition the Piegas. I just bought the P10s and they are truly wonderful speakers. Better still, they are said to improve substantially after 300-400 hours of burn-in. If there is a better speaker at this price point, I would love to hear it.
There are 2 theories, one believes in "break in period", i'm in the other camp. Now most every tweeter/ribbon goes at least to 25K. After that i'm not interested. Most important to me are the fq's between say 60hz - 10 or 15K hz. In other words i prefer a superior driver making nice music in this range. So if a woofer goes to 20hz but sounds boomy or sloppy whats that to me. Same for a tweeter that goes to 30K but has little character with a metalic sound.?? 90% of the music ( classical) is in the mid bass to upper treble. Then the 20-40hz + 20K-25Khz make up the 9%. The 1% falls in the below 20 and above 25K. Those are rough figures but just to make a point.
Tweekerman, you're point about classical being in the mid bass to upper treble should mean that you want a speaker that can reach and cleanly deliver the high end. It goes back to the original question about the capacity of ribbon tweeters and whether they have the ability to accurately handle the high end. It looks like the answer is yes, but I suppose that primarily depends on the speaker. I'm probably going to ask the Piega rep bring over the speakers based on what I've read in this thread. Maybe the ribbons will sound harsh -- I'll probably find out soon.
Could it be that a tweeter with a range that extends beyond 20khz sounds more detailed and extended because it is working more comfortably within its range and not being affected by the mechanical limitations of the diaphragm. I would think that if a driver does not have that extention you could here the effects much lower in its response. Its like running a woofer a little too close to its upper limit. Also, HiVi (Swan) ribbons sound very nice and seem to be fairly durable. Dont know about others but the smaller HiVi goes down to 3,000 and the bigger to 1,700hz.
Every cone and ribbon tweeter i've seen goes to 25K+ hz's. As far as i'm concerned, there's no issue about any tweeter not hitting the upper reaches of fq's. How musical is a particular driver? That's the issue. But honestly you can ask 10 DIYer's and all will give you 10 different answers as to their favorite tweeter. BTW i just found out the Raven3 goes down to an incredible 500hz!!! But you got to pay for that: $3400/pr!! Next would come the ESg3 ribbon goes to like 1500hz.