Anyone using Squeezebox server on Mac OS X?

I'm currently using Squeezebox Server on a Linux box that I've been using for the past several years like this. It works incredibly well, without any hiccup. However, I do anticipate the point in time where I will exceed the hard drive capacity of that machine, and I have a much more powerful iMac that has plenty of storage space.

I'm reluctant to make any changes at the moment because it does work so well on the Linux box, but I'm trying to plan for my contingency plan.

Does anyone have experience using the Squeezebox Server on Mac OS X? Any comments on how well that works?

Michael
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xsufentanil
No problems here with a Mac Mini running Snow Leopard and now Lion. One annoyance, though, is that the preference pane only runs in 32 bits, so I have to wait for it to restart the Preferences app in 32 bit mode every time I want work with the preference pane.

Caudio2011 - As far as automatically saving a file ripped on another computer to the one running the server, I have not tried this, but you might try mounting a shared folder from the server computer on the desktop of the ripping computer and directing the ripping program to save the output to that folder. Not sure that is a good idea because of the slow speed of moving the data across ethernet, relative to the speed of the rip being done. I haven't bothered because I make backups at the same time I move files to the server computer so it would actually slow the process down to rip the files directly to the remote server computer and then move a copy across the network again to the backup disk.
Caudio2011, share your mini's external HD and mount it from your laptop. Then simply select that mounted drive in the laptop when you specify the destination for the rip.

Michael
I use it on WIndows.

Had some issues after upgrading this past week to the latest published version.

Artwork for .wav files stopped loading. I had to upgrade to a more recent beta release to get this new bug fixed.

Also they dropped the handheld skin in recent versions, which made my Windows Mobile browser less useful as a controller. I found a blog post where that provided the files though and once i put these in teh right directory, the handheld skin worked again, however it appears that it is being dropped from support which I think is a bad decision in that I find it fills a more useful niche in the controller device world than the classic skin that was retained. The classic skin is inferior to the default and handheld skin IMHO. standard skin is more functional on typical pc browsers and hand held same on handheld device browsers.

Of course, Iphones and android devices are supported with the new controller program you can install so that is probably the way to go for those newer devices.

Apple and PC covers most users so I would expect both to be solid platforms in general, more so than Linus, which must be a minority platform I suspect.

I was a bit taken back though with the inconsistencies and on off changes in the latest release though, and I suspect that this may be the case on all platforms.

The Squeezebox server has been mostly very reliable to date. I hope these recent issues are just a blip and not some new pattern that worsens over time. NOthing beats good QC! I'd say the regression testing was lacking with this latest server version release.

I am pretty computer savy yet it took me several hours to work through these issues and get my library back to the state it was prior. A novice would probably have had little chance and ended up with a broken server and a lot more angst.
Sufentanil, For clarification. What you are saying is to physically attach the external drive to the lap top for ripping purposes and then after ripping reattach the external drive to the mac mini?
Caudio2011, no, I'm saying to hook the external HD to the Mini. Then on the Mini go to Settings -> Sharing, and select the external HD to share. Then from your laptop navigate in the Finder to the shared drive on the mini (remotely). This will be your save as location for the discs ripped on the laptop.

So the external HD stays on the Mini, but you access it from the laptop across your network, and save the files there.

Does that make sense?

Michael