Anyone using Squeezebox server on Mac OS X?

I'm currently using Squeezebox Server on a Linux box that I've been using for the past several years like this. It works incredibly well, without any hiccup. However, I do anticipate the point in time where I will exceed the hard drive capacity of that machine, and I have a much more powerful iMac that has plenty of storage space.

I'm reluctant to make any changes at the moment because it does work so well on the Linux box, but I'm trying to plan for my contingency plan.

Does anyone have experience using the Squeezebox Server on Mac OS X? Any comments on how well that works?

Michael
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xsufentanil
Sufentanil, For clarification. What you are saying is to physically attach the external drive to the lap top for ripping purposes and then after ripping reattach the external drive to the mac mini?
Caudio2011, no, I'm saying to hook the external HD to the Mini. Then on the Mini go to Settings -> Sharing, and select the external HD to share. Then from your laptop navigate in the Finder to the shared drive on the mini (remotely). This will be your save as location for the discs ripped on the laptop.

So the external HD stays on the Mini, but you access it from the laptop across your network, and save the files there.

Does that make sense?

Michael
Sufentanil, I think I got it now. I did try last night seeing if I could select the ext. hard drive attached to the mini, but I was unable too. I went into the Sharing from System Preferences on the mini & selected Personal File Sharing box (BTW the mac mini is running OS 10.4.11 the iBook is running 10.5.8) - thinking this might be a box that i need to select after searching on line for an answer. Yet, last night it didn't seem to help, but now tonight, after getting verification from you that the ext. hard drive should be attached to the mac mini, I fired up the mini & was able to access the ext. hard drive via the iBook. Either the mac mini had to go through a restart after checking the Personal File Sharing box or else last night I was signing in to the mac mini as a Guest and not as a registered user. I didn't see those two options (Guest or Register User) the past few days as I've been experimenting with screen sharing. I'll have to experiment some more to see exactly what enabled the ability to access the mac mini ext. hard drive from the iBook.
Sufentanil, for a follow up. I attempted to connect as a Guest & was unable to see the ext. hard drive as an option, but then connecting as a register user I was. On the IBook, the ext. drive does not show up under the Shared column to the far left on the finder window. First, there is the DEVICES heading followed by SHARED heading. Under the SHARED heading is the mac mini, which in my case is simply called Mac. I click on Mac and then to the right part of the finder window the ext. hard drive and the internal Macintosh (mac mini) hard drives are shown. Is this the way things are presented? Or should the ext. hard drive also show up under the SHARED heading to the far left in the Finder window?

BTW you wrote: "Then on the Mini go to Settings -> Sharing, and select the external HD to share." I failed to mention in my previous post that this option was never presented to me. You're saying that this option should appear if I go to System Preferences - select Sharing & then an option to select the ext. hard drive should be there?
Caudio2011 - to share the external drive connected to the Mac Mini, open the "get info" window for the external drive by either single clicking on the drive icon to highlight it and typing command-i or selecting get info from the finder File menu. Once the get info window is open you should see a check box under the "general" section for making the drive a shared folder. Click that box and close the window. You now should be able to mount the shared external drive on your iMac, assuming sharing is turned on for the Mac Mini (under System Preferences->sharing).

You will probably have to enter your Mac Mini password to change any file name or location on the shared folder after this. I recommend not trying to change file names on the external drive from in the image mounted on your iMac - I have had nothing but trouble (files disappearing until rebooting the remote computer) doing this.