Best spkrs for rock: Dunlavy V-Watt/Puppy-Revel??

Hi:

I listen to mostly rock, classic rock and female vocals, VERY LOUDLY.

My main system now consists of:

NHT 3.3s,
NHT SubTwo Subwoofer (60Hz & below only)
Sony SCD 777es SACD player,
BAT VK5i preamp,
Audio Research M300mkII tube monoblocks,
MIT 750 Shotgun Tube Biwires,
MIT 350 Twin 30' ICs.

I will also be buying a used Cary 306/200, Audio Aero Capitole MkI, Wadia 860x or Electrocompaniet EMC-1 CD player as my main source.

I have a LARGE listening room with lots of glass & high sloping ceilings, app. 20x40 ft.

I want to upgrade my speakers, and I am considering a used pair of either Dunlavy SC-Vs, Wilson WATT3/Puppy2s, Aerial 10-Ts, Revel Ultima Studios, etc., etc.

My system is a tad bright right now, but not objectionaably so. The imaging is stellar, and the soundstage depth is good, not great. I want smooth, rich, warm sound, yet detailed and clear, and as I said, I listen at VERY loud volumes for extended periods of time.

Because of the size of speakers involved, I will obviously not be able to hear them with my system 'til I buy them, but, I guess I can just buy a good used pair here on Audiogon & sell them and try another pair if I need to.

Any comments/suggestions?

Thanks - Jeff
jeffj
I looked back at this to see feedback and after thinking about the issue think I was right originally. Before I would spend money on new speakers I would seriously consider acoustics and other tweaks to the listening enviroment. You have good equipment and while I love rock music it is probably only 1/3 of what I listen to. If it was the majority than the type of equipment would be greatly impacted. However I think most people make a mistake in simply trying to buy up before creating a decent sonic listening space. If your room is a cavern why blow a lot of money on equip. I don't know what your space is but consider working on it first rather than the equip.
Disagree with all the statements about Rock & Roll not benefiting from the best quality speakers that a listener can afford - assuming that the listener LIKES Rock & Roll, that is. We like it, and we like it loud, soft and in-between. We also like all other kinds of music (well, the wife has a negative 'reaction', shall we say? to opera and rap music).

Dunlavys (unmodified) are very dynamic and clean, but are not capable of reproducing a lot of detail, and so a lot of music in the midrange will sound 'hard' or 'cold', the bass will lack definition, and the harmonics will be blanched (we lived with the IVs for 3 years).

Here is where something like the Revels excell and the midrange notes will have much more texture, be more involving and realistic, and will be less likely to cause ear bleed. The Revels, to their slight detriment, are also designed to be the tinest bit laid back at certain frequencies, presumably in order to cure that 'brightness' problem many rooms posess.

The Avantgardes would be an interesting solution - though their integration with their woofer is suspect - more so in the less expensive models and like foreverhifi said above, they are very directional.

B&W Nautiluses (Nautili?) are another possibility, if you do not point them directly at your ears as they are somewhat directional with those streamlined tweeters.

The lower-priced Rockports might also be an option - being most like the Dunlavys in that they do not emphasize or deemphasize various sonic signatures but are able to render the details that the Dunlavys are not.

Another option is the Acapella Violins (which we sell), being similar to the Rockports in their honesty but being more smooth and rich but having a little less slam at the bottom end (less so as you move up to the Violon High Subs).

Oh, the Wilson Watt/Puppy 7s (or Sophias) are another option. It seems like they have fixed all the major problems and the minor ones (and everything has minor problems) might be that they are a little on the cold side, and still perhaps retain a little of that Wilson brightness?

All these speakers, imho, will be way, way better than the NHT 3.3s - especially given the size of your room - and all of them will rock out. None of them are bad choices. You are in for a treat!

-Mike.
never had any bass definition problems with either the Dunleavy 4 or Dunleavy 5 speakers I owned previously,actually partial traded my top of the line Kinergetics sw 800 sub woofers System [5x10 in.] Each channel with upgraded XLO SIGNATURE internal wires,for the Dunleavy 5 using Conrad Johnson premier 8 amplifiers the Dunleavy had every bit of bass definition the woofer system had. possibly this result because of the Wadia 27 converter which has very nice bass. BTW changing the stock binding posts with Cardas rhodium posts really improves all Dunleavy speakers quite a bit.
What you need is
1.VMPS FF1
and if you think VMPS is a bit pricey then go for ,
2.LEGACY FOCUS 20/20
and also my last suggestion is
3.MONTANA XP (already there is one for sale on audigon)
Listen to a pair of ProAc 3.8's before you make your final decision. All of the speakers listed are very good choices. Many of them are designed to be extremely accurate monitors. I would say that rock music is not necessarily designed to be listened through these types of speakers. I think that you will find that some recordings will sound unbelievable and some recordings will sound very poor through some of the rather accurate speakers that you have listed. Revel, Wilson, and Dunlavy, in my opinion, fall into this category.

The ProAc rocks. It does not have a bright presentation. It may not be as accurate as the Revel or Dunlavy speaker line, but I would argue that it is a more musical speaker line. It errs on the side of easy to listen to and less detail specific. The ProAc 3.8 rocks.

I would think that of all the speakers mentioned so far the other great rock choice would be the Legacy speaker line. I have heard them in other peoples systems who prefer rock and they had a great sound. Listen to as many speakers as you can with your equipment before making a decision, but do yourself a favor and make sure that a pair of ProAc's are on your list.

Good Luck,
Drew