What Speaker are Great for Rock and Roll $5K-20K

My bother just bought a Krell FPB-300 and Krell pre-amp.

He wants to play Rock and Roll,

I tried to explane to him that this equipment is best for Jazz and Classical music.

I would like some help if possible on this one.

Thank you
Peter
proy
Like it or not...the majority of hi-end equipment...especially in the 5k range... is not geared for rock....more often than not...the system is of a very unforgiving nature with lean bass...and unlike Floyd...most rock is frankly recorded poorly...so really...you are doing yourself a disfavor both financially and acoustically...save some cash...dont blow a huge wad...get something decent...like the Paradigms...which are around 1-2k...and call it a day...chances are ...you will be pleasantly surprised...their transparency,imaging,and bass is quite good..read the reviews...they will give alot of more esoteric,pricier models a stiff challenge...
I agree with Phase Correct about the recording of rock. I have Dunlavy athenas fed by VTL at home and i have to admit a lot of my rock cds sound a lot better in the car. You might want to look at EV pro gear. Tons of thump, decent transparency when you take some time to set them up...generally very good speakers but not as revealing as high end audio. as an added benifit the next greatest band in the world that just ran out of time probably has them for sale pretty cheap. S-15s are a good 3 way that you should be able to find for less than a grand in very good shape. They have a higher end version that sounds great but is more money..still not 5k though. WAF for either of them, however, is non existant.
Also..lets not confuse price with performance...although at times they are close enough to cause confusion...I have heard speakers well under 5k outperform many more costlier models...and very few above 5k that truly warrant that kind of pricetag...the law of diminishing returns is a brutal one...
Rock deserves the best to reproduce it, just as other kinds of music. There are plenty of excellent sound engineers working in the business.
Excuse me, but I like Jimi, Janis, and "the Boys" to sound just as life-like as Callas, Tebaldi, and di Stefano. Eric's guitar should sound different from Buchanan's and Beck's (Jeff, for chrissakes). Fidelity is fidelity...no matter what you're listening to. If it's poorly recorded, turn it down. If you buy a colored system, you're penalizing yourself from enjoying the best recordings of the best artists. I don't detect a whiff of...snobbery here, do I?
The main point...you dont need to spend a truckload of money for very good sound...especially for rock...