Full range or sub/sat ?

Which give you what you want.I feel the best dedicated stereo only came from a pair of spica TC-50's and a vandersteen sub.The amp was a Musical fidelity B-1 or a B-2 I seem to have forgotten ( about 35 watts per ch. ).I felt the monitors got out of the way better than a full range with it's large baffle.
kgveteran
As rediculous as it may sound. I actually would do floorstanders WITH a pair of subwoofers.
Ditto above, Ritteri, when speaking about "normally" priced speakers. Either that, or stratospherically priced full-ranges (i.e. $+25k).
Gregm: I didnt get your comment or what you mean by "normal" prices speakers.I run a pair of Revel Salon's and will be adding a pair of B15's to them(even though they are flat down to 18hz), even for speakers such as these powered subs can be a good thing if implemented correctly. I would do Subs and full range speakers together regardless. Having full range speakers just means your subs have less work to do and can be crossed over at a much lower frequency which is a good thing. At the same time(assuming were talking a powered sub)the amplifier driving the main speakers now can run limited bandwidth potentially and can improve dynamic headroom(and dynamics)to the main speakers. But anyway, having a pair of subs to put in the corners of the room behind the main sattelites can be a huge bang for the buck upgrade.

An example. Take a cymbal crash. Its handled mostly by the midrange and tweeter right? Wrong! A good hard cymbal crash/impact actually starts at around 15-20hz, no kidding. When I auditioned a pair of Revel B15's in conjunction with my Salon's I was floored at the remarkable difference. Midrange and treble also were greatly improved by the harmonic ability of the subs. It was a night and day difference even with $19k floorstanding speakers.
I agree with Ritteri on two counts,if I understand him correctly. 1. You need a full range speaker to properly implement a pair of subwoofers and 2. the most perceived improvment in sound from adding powered subwoofers comes in the midrange and highs. Might seem conterintuitive, but IMHO is correct.