Merlin Mil. w/hybrid amps??

My usual amps are VTL MB-450s. They are in for repair and I have a Bryston 4B SST on loan in the meantime. I really like the low end control and extention. However, I miss all of the appealin qualities of tubes. Have any of you found a hybrid amp that gives you the best of both? Are there still compromises? Any experience that you can share is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Brooks
brooksl
Brooks, I have a Joule Electra VAMP integrated that sounds very good on the VSMs. They show up every now and then used and I have seen a few of the non-integrated version as well. But it has been quite a while. I have a Joule OTL amp and am fairly biased when it comes to the Joule equipment. It's easy to be biased because the Joule stuff sounds so good with the Merlins. Much like the OTL, the VAMP allows the Merlins to flesh out. Which is normally the issue when you put a solid state amp or an amp with a lot of feedback on the Merlins. It's not quite as real as the OTL and the highs are not as extended. It's also not as transparent as the OTL.

But that is all relative. I happen to think the Joule OTL is a great amp and definitely one of the best amps you can buy for the Merlins period. If I had to make due with the VAMP, I'd still be very happy. It sounds better than several other tube amps I have heard with the Merlins.

Another good thing is that when they do come up for sale used they are usually for a good price. I got mine for $1,000. It was $3,800 new. It's a steal. Apparently Jud lost money on every unit he made. The non-integrated version is even less. Match the amp with the Supratek Syrah pre and you'll have better sound than people spending many times as much.

Good luck.
Jim, I have been intrigued by the Joules. I have been waiting (a while) for VZN 100s to show up here. I will be patient. Thanks.
Brooks, I can assure you they are well worth the wait. I have the VZN80. Set the feedback control to zero and enjoy.
I would say if amps as big as the MB-450s are not delivery the goods, you need to look at other tube amps. I've heard a few hybrids on the VSMs, and then generally do not do what a amp like the 4BSST does on the VSMs in the bottom end.

The amps I have heard on the VSMs that can do that kind of very authoritative bottem end are big OTLS and a few high power tube amps (the Joule VZN-160s and the big CAT amps). Now I realize that most folks would be happy with the bottom end a VZN-80 or the VZN-100s would deliver on the VSM-Ms, but the bigger amps have more authority, weight, and defintion in the lower registers along with the great capabilities these amps offer in the midrange and top end.

FYI, I have the latest retail price list from Joule-Electra.... a pair of VZN-100s is now $15,000 ($18,000 in musicwood). Used VZN-100s are hard to come by.... Joule's production capabilities are limited, so there are only so many out there and the customers I know who have them are very attached to them. :-)

Jim2, you are right about the VAMP.... given the way Jud builds things (allot of labor goes into the fabarication of each Joule amp), he was loosing money on the VAMP.

Happy listening,
Rich Brkich
Jim and Rich, thank you for your comments. Rich are you referring to the CAT JL2? Also, what do you think of the Tenor 150 stereo hybrid?