Merlin Mil. w/hybrid amps??

My usual amps are VTL MB-450s. They are in for repair and I have a Bryston 4B SST on loan in the meantime. I really like the low end control and extention. However, I miss all of the appealin qualities of tubes. Have any of you found a hybrid amp that gives you the best of both? Are there still compromises? Any experience that you can share is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Brooks
brooksl
Brooks, I understand what you are looking for in low end control from an amp. In my opinion, any VSM owner in the market for an amp should hear the Joule OTL. It has been said many times, but it really is a special combination. And I think it will give you a reference standard for comparison with other amps when thinking through tradeoffs and benefits. You may forget all about a hybrid amp after hearing it. When I heard the OTLs at the CES in 2001 I knew I HAD to have it. I have the VZN80 and am very happy with it. Rich makes a good point about the amps but these things are all a matter of degree. It's like saying, "I like my Porsche 911 Turbo but I would rather have a Ferrari Enzo". The VZN80 was about as much I could afford at the time. If presented with the choice again I would probably opt for the VZN100. Not becuase they are that much different or better, but because you might as well for the little extra power and control. Size and heat-wise the 100s fit most rooms. When you start looking at the 160 or 220, not only does price become a major factor, but you are talking about some pretty large amps that generate a good deal of heat. I don't have the money or the room for them (my room is 14x24) but all else being equal - that'd be the way to go.

I have had my Merlins for 4 years now and they are not going anywhere. Many other owners feel the same, especially the guys with the Joule stuff. These amps will last you for the rest of your life. You might want to check with Jud or Bobby about when they will be pairing up again. Maybe they will in New York at the High End show in May? They're worth seeking out for a listen.
Jim, yes, there seems to be an extrordinary synergy with the Merlins and the Joules. I wish I could hear it. The show in May is a possibility. Thanks.
Hi Brooks, I would like to chime in on this if I may. I currently own the Berning zh270 OTL that has been totally tweeked out, every conceivable upgrade including cryoed outputs, various sets of NOS inputs, cryoed wire ERS and tube dampers. It is a very dynamic amp stock. With the upgrades, the ease, transparency and performance top to bottom is quite good. Especially the low end since it uses a switching power supply. David Berning's designs have always been noted for their low end performance. I have heard the VSM's with 2 of these amps strapped together in my system with the wire upgrade and I must say it was most definitely in the realm of ss control and extension with puffs of air coming from the port of the speaker regularly at moderate listening levels. It literally sounded as though a subwoofer was hooked up to the Merlins but with a coherence that NO sub can project, especially with such a speaker as the VSM. If you are looking at hybrids but love the sound of tubes, I strongly suggest you look into this amp. It is also easy on maintenance since the outputs are auto biased and operate at a very conservative plate voltage relative to their capacity, same with the input/drivers. 20 years tube life can be expected with this design. About as plug and play as you can get without the constant worry of tubes. Another plus is that all the tubes are readily avaliable NOS and are quite inexpensive.

Now having just made a strong case for the Berning I would also STRONGLY recommend you listen to the Joule's per Jim's recommendation. This amp is the most harmonically realistic, natural sounding amp I have heard with these speakers. It is incumbent for anyone purchasing the VSM to hear it first hand. It doesn't have the "plug and play" convenience of the Berning and it also puts out quite a bit more heat but it is a final purchase product especially with this speaker and I can't say enough good things about it including performance, build quality and value. Jud Barber is most definitely a music lover and his designs are masterpieces at reproducing music! The only cavaet is that to realize the bass control that you might get with the Berning I would think that you would have to go with the Marquis 100 monos or the Grand Marquis if you can handle the heat, current draw and price of admission.

Before purchasing either I would try to search out both for a listen. I doubt any hybrid out there will offer the musical involvement these two do with the VSM but on the other hand there are many tube designs that work well with the Merlins. On the SS front I would look at the Sims and Belles that would probably offer much of what you might expect from a hybrid.
Tubegroover, thanks for the very interesting report. I think that I need to defer my decision until I can hear the Joules and maybe the Berning on Merlins. I will try to get the spring NYC show or see if I can find someone with them who wouldn't mind me coming over for a listen. I live in Chicago but in the next several months I will be in St Louis, St Paul, Ponte Verde, Princeton, and New Haven - just in case anyone knows Joule/Berning/Merlin owners in those areas. Thanks to all of you a lot for sharing your experience. It is a big help. Also, this Tenor hybrid stereo 150 has me so intrigued, I am going to try to hear it too.
Brooks:

I agree with Tubegroover on the Berning, which I have and that is fully "tweaked" out. It is paired with the Merlins. I live in Minneapolis and would be more than happy to have you over when you are in Mpls. Just email me and we can set up a time. You really do owe it to yourself to hear the Berning with the Merlins. I have not had the pleasure of hearing a Joule but, can also tell you that since getting the Berning I have not been hankering or even wondering about something else. This was true before the latest mods to the Berning. Since I had the Berning moddedI have been in awe.

Peter