Vandersteen question

It's time to upgrade my speakers. I'm very impressed by the Vandersteen 3A Sig. but am concerned that I don't have enough power. I just got a pair of Quicksilver MiniMite monoblock tube amps that are 25 watts/channel matched with the Eastern Electric MiniMax preamp (20 db gain). Presently I've got Klipsch Heresys that are very efficient at 96db/1watt. I can barely turn the volume past the 9 o'clock position before the sound gets to ear bleeding levels.

My question relates to the active preamp with 20 db of gain. I believe there's a formula that everytime you double the wattage, this increases the SPL by 3 db. With this in mind, 20 db of gain in the preamp would equate to an amp having 6 2/3 times the wattage or 166 watts/channel matched with a passive preamp in my case.

I notice that Vandersteen recommends 100 to 200 W/ch with the 3A Sig while the 2Ce Sig recommends 40 to 60 W/ch. I find this confusing considering that the 3A is more efficient at 87db. The 2Ce is rated at 86db.

Vandy fans - Please enlighten me. Thanks.
mootsdude
The 3A Sigs reequire more power than your amps can provide. You may drive them into overload and clipping on crescendos without realizing it. That in turn can damage the speaker. I suggest working with your dealer to trade up to the Quicksilver V-4s. They're a great match and work very well with the 3A Sigs.
Has anyone ever tried extended listening to a Vandersteen 2Ce without grille cloth?. My grilles are getting a little long in the tooth thanks to loving attention from feline companions. I was considering stripping the speakers but was curious about how the sound would change.

Thnks
If you stip them the sound will not appreciably change, however, the felines will certainly enjoy the driver cones. Not such a great trade off. I believe it is not hard to remove the tops and replace the cloth.
Mootsdude,

Are you a cyclist? Hence the Moots.

I am running Vandy 2Ce sigs with VTL MB 125s and I thought the Vandys sounded fine until I tried them with 200 watts per channel. What a difference! I am now a firm believer that Vandersteens do work best with lots of good power. In my oppinion without the power you only get a glimps of what they are capable of. I do have a fairly large room 14'x35'x8' tall. I am also using (2) Vandy 2WQ subs. Also in my room they sound best at 12' from the listening position and 7'off the back wall.