Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Steve,
How long to the 12 gauge Jensen foil inductors take to burn in? I bought some to try on my Neo 10 midrange (.56mh) but they sound dull and rolled off. A Jantzen 12 gauge wax paper and foil inductor sounds way more transparent and dynamic (both with no burn in). I notice that the Jensen 12 gauge inductors use twice as thick of foil compared to their 14 gauge ones.....maybe the 14 gauge ones would sound faster?
Granny - the Jensen inductors will transform your system.

Ricevs - The Jensen inductors break-in almost immediately. I have used the 12 gauge throughout crossover designs with excellent results.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Guido,

Both inputs sound good to my ear, plus it would kind of apple and oranges to point out differences since one is being fed by a computer and the other by a cd transport.

The volume problem is that the Aeris sounds best on the upper end of its vol scale (right led solid, left led off) which depending on your amp's power and speakers' sensitivity may be too loud, in which case you would need a preamp to enjoy it to its fullest.

Nick
Grannyring most 42 step attenuators are not Ladder type, but shunt 2 pole attenuators. When you lower the volume with the shunt type the input impedance drops from 100K so the impedance is not constant. Don't you think this type of attenuator will not work great with other tube gear like tube cd player and tubed phono stage.