Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Jwm, the varying input impedance of the stunt stepped Shallco is a real non issue based on my experience. The sound quality improvement of only one resistor and one switch in the signal path etc....is much more important. One can also place a larger input to output value resistor if concerned about source matching.

I converted my stepped Attenuator to a shunt step and love the sound quality improvement. I use digital front ends only and find this is an non-issue. You would need to determine your phono front end output Impedance to determine if it is a potential issue with your phono stage.

I don't use phono stages so I really don't know.
Just for info. PS Audio updated the Firmware on the Direct Stream and it is a very significant audio improvement.
Guido,

Thanks for sharing your insights/experience with the volume control. My amp might be what sounds better at higher levels, as opposed to the Aeris. Whichever it is, the Aeris sounds great and has been a pleasure to listen to.

Have you listened to any hi res on the Aeris? To my ears, it really closes the gap between redbook and 24/96 or 24/192. I'm not hearing the pronounced difference that I did with previous dacs.
Hi Nickolas, my source device is the Esoteric X-01 player... Hence, I have fed Aeris with redbook via SPDIF... I have no direct experience with higher resolution files into Aeris.

G.