LS3/5A & Pass Labs

I am looking for new speakers to go with my Pass Aleph 3, Aleph P, and 9X16X8'celing room...concrete walls. I found a used shop that sells used Spendor LS3/5A speakers $550-$650. I wonder what you all think of this combo in terms of musicality, sound volume, sound staging, speaker placement etc...

thanks
souporhero
Quadophile and all,

I guess that means that I can expect to get about 93db from this set up.

I signed up for yahoo, so I'll see you over there soon.

I guess the reason that I am interested in the LS3/5a at all is because I was out looking at tube gear and I hear this amazing sound in a room that must have been at least 15x20. Obviously, it was a showroom and there were speakers everywhere. The soundstage was set very far back making it seem like the room was a whole lot bigger...what we definitely need more of here in HK. The volume wasn't very loud...just comfortable and the bass was just fine. When I looked to see which speakers were playing...I was entirely fooled. It said Harbeth on the back, and it only had a little banana terminal for the speaker wire.

You better believe that I wrote down the model number on those speakers .... I don't know the model of the amps that they were using, but they were long slender silver Audio Note mono amps. Wow what an impression...and of course they were not for sale.

After finding out that Harbeth is not the only maker of the LS3/5a, and finding a source for the speakers, I hope my Pass Aleph 3 amp can come close to doing what the Audio Notes did.

I do think I am going to research a little more before I part with my money. Plus I have to start thinking about buying stands.

One question, if I do use a sub in the future, where should I have it crossed over?

Thanks
You may check out this thread which I started and has all the details you may like to read about.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?cspkr&1069704787&openfrom&1&4#1

You amp is fine and should give you excellent sound from the Ls/35a. You will be amazed how good some of the female singers sound when heard on these speakers.

By the way, when you are on the forum look out for posts from Joe Ki, I consider him to be a walking bible for LS3/5a's. Infact I have never come across anyone so passionate about any equipment as he is. His reputation is such that if a mosquito is sitting on the LS3/5a's and just batting an eyelid Jo Ki (KI Architect) senses there is something wrong about the sound. An amazing guy!

On the site you will find a database of Amps being used by the members. This information will be very interesting for you so do check it out as well.
I have since moved over to the recomended LS3/5a site...I'll let you all know what happens if I end up getting the speakers.

Over and out.
I bought a pair from Stirling two years ago. excellent service. remember the ls3/5as take a lot of running in, so don't be disappointed when you take them out of the box.
They make both standard cabinets and reference ones. The reference ones are mabe from birch ply and are a copy of the BBC 001/2 prototype pair.