Replacing Vandy 2CEs w/ Monitors--Can It Be Done?

An impending move may force me to replace my much beloved Vandersteen 2CEs with smaller monitors. I really like the Vandy's rich, full-bodied sound and excellent imaging. I know that most monitors are also excellent at imaging, but the few that I have heard (B&W, ProAc, Triangle), while detailed, sounded a bit thin or delicate, lifeless even. I suppose this is a matter of bass (or lack thereof).

So is there a monitor that will give me most of what I like about the 2CEs? And to add to the problem, these monitors would need to be placed close to the back wall and cost less than 800$ used.

Room size is roughly 9x14. Speakers on short wall. Assoc. gear: audible illusions 2d pre, mccormack dna .5, rega p25 w/ dynavector 10x5, philips dvd 963sa. Musical tastes: country blues, lots of pop, a smattering of jazz and classical.

Thanks in advance.
shersta
Thanks for your suggestions. I'll see if I can't track down some Platinums and Europas. It's not the room size that's the problem, it's that the room is also going to have a lot of furniture in it--very little room for floorstanders of any kind. In fact, if I go the monitor route, I'll probably build a wall shelf or bracket to mount the speakers.
As silly as this may sound, you did say you'd like full bodied sound, and if you can't find a pr. of Platinums, try a pr. of the Polk LSi's, such as the model 9.

I have a lady friend, that got hers from Crutchfield. Hey, they pay return shipping if you don't like them. They are a little too full for my taste's, but maybe not yours. Btw, low-end isn't a part of the Green Mountain Europa's.That what I've gathered from other post's, on other threads.

Good luck
You might consider the Von Schweikert VR1's while you're at it. Exceedingly musical, drop down to 40hz(!), beautifully built w/ real wood veneers and serious components right down to the Cardas rhodium binding posts. They also have a ridiculous off-axis response...it has to be heard to be believed. $995 msrp but I purchased mine for $675 NIB from an authorized dealer.
Keep the speakers and make the space for them!!!!
They do NOT 'have' to have a lot of free space around them!
I would at least try them out in the room! Before getting something else. Putting speakers on a shelf is bad, worse than sticking your current speakers wherever they can fit in.
I lived with Infinty IIa doorsize mothers in a tiny 9' by 12' hellhole and was happy as a clam with the nearfield sound!!!!
You should definitely consider keeping the 2CEs. You could use an external crossover that would allow for fine-tuning the speaker to your room. Richard Vandersteen could help you do this, but you might want to contact a dealer for detailed assistance. John Rutan at Audio Connection is a good bet. Good luck.

Robert