subwoofer rattles like hell

hi, it's a mirage bps 150i. it is bipolar, has two 8" woofers. supposed to be very good. this is my first sub. i have a 90 watt amp. it is clean strong power. when i turn the gain past two the left woofer rattles like crazy. like wod smakking together. is the speaker blown or can it just not handle the power coming from the amp. is this refered to as clipping? please advise. thanks in advance.
brash
I have 2 of these subs and they have an internal 150wRMS/600wPeak amplifier, exactly tell me how and what it is connected to and what gain are you talking about (sub or ?).
i don't know if it's clipping because i've never heard clipping, but 90 watts is surely not enough power for a sub. bass requires more wattage than anything else. any decent sub with built in amp will have more than 300 watts, and most have alot more. i wouldn't run the sub until i had a much more powerful amp as you risk destroying the drivers and the amp.

aloha keith
hi rich, it is connected speaker level with paul speltz's anti cable, solid copper wire, nice cables. it is conected to a yamaha ca-1010 integrated amp. the gain i refer to is the knob for gain on the back of the sub. i can't turn the volume on the amp past three, way too loud beyond that. thanks.
One of those stupid suggestions, but please make sure your woofer's screws or bolts are tight...

Also, does it sound or feel like the woofers are bottoming out?