Regarding people selling equipment to U.S.A. only

I am in Australia and find many things I would like to buy but mostly people will only ship to US or Canada.Is it very complicated to ship overseas? If I were to pay for some speakers and their shipping by bank transfer could the seller simply take the boxes to his local Fedex or the like or is it more complex than that.I am aware that there are some Paypal scams happening from the far east but if I were to deposit funds directly into the sellers bank account would this not make the transaction foolproof and risk free for them
joecrowe
I sold a pair of cables to a gentleman in France. It was a $99 sale that turned into a paperwork nightmare. I shipped them from my office for convenience, then UPS started demanding customs forms from my boss!!! Could have sold them in the US with no hassles.
Shipping to other countries has been a nightmare. First, custom forms are a pain in the a__. Then, the package usually gets held in customes for a long time. Finally, sometimes buyers refuse to pay the duties. I've been stuck twice paying the duties.
I sold a dac/transport combo to a gentleman in Taiwan and the deal went through practically flawlessly. I used Fedex, I think the service was called global economy and I don't remember the shipping costs being prohibitive, maybe a few hundred dollars on a $1500 sale. The only real hitch was that Fedex for some reason initially shipped the unit to Grenada and tried to deliver it there! This was a really odd and random mistake that was quickly corrected, it was just lucky that I religously track my shipments every day until they're delivered. But other than that no problems, except for a cd player coming from Canada that was held in customs for a few days, no big deal.
I have sold a few things to people overseas. I have been fortunate enough that I have never had any problems. I personally will sell to any person, just about any where, as long as I recieve payment in full prior to shipping.
From my experience and perspective it's too difficult to learn the process involded with shipping overseas. Since this is a hobby to me, I don't have the time to learn what's required for the process - it was too tough for me to deal with the paperwork, stress of getting it correct, etc. just to ship to Canada - call me stupid. I don't have any problems with the folks making an offer, it's all on my end.