B&W exposed tweeter on top design....

Just curious...anyone know when B&W started this design?...did they invent it as well...they are often associatted with it...
128x128phasecorrect
I have the B$W DM7 Mark 2 speakers that were made in 1979 and cost $1,500 then new. They have the exposed tweeter on top and the yellow kevlar midrange. They still sound great!
I don't know if B&W were the first to do this, but it has been a consistent design attribute on some of their models since the late 1970's. The 801's had this and they were available in at least 1978, maybe earlier. I can't recall. Sean
>
Didn't Klipsh horn put the tweeter exposed on top of the Klipsh Horn, 1940's?

Thanx
Russ
I have heard all the technical explanations about why the tweeter benefits from an isolated location, but I really wonder if it is not just a styling feature for marketing reasons. Lots of excellent speakers have baffle-mounted tweeters.
Great response Eldartford...this is really the heart of my initial question...although I failed to include it...at any rate...I feel exposed tweeter designs...or good ones at least...truly due benefit from the additional "air" and "open" qualities...any other thoughts...also...didnt Swan have a tweeter on top design a few years back...thanks...