Gallo reference /TAS vs Me

I spent a fair amount of time listening to the new reference speakers from Gallo a few months ago and dismissed them as closed in-particularly in the mids- and opaque in the soundstage and generally disapointing. Now TAS puts out a review which goes against everything I heard. Am I losing my hearing or are TAS and I listening to two different speakers? FYI the dealer used Musical Fidelity electronics with the Gallos and I listen with Maggie 3.5s and BAT electronics.
banksfriend
Jeffreyds,

I really liked them (mine are on order) I thought that the 30/30 did a pretty good job although my friend thought they could use a little more power. The dealer was playing them rather loud though. I would be happy with that set up. I think these speakers will be a classic someday.
After reading the new 6moons review, I'm happy I got the Hsu 500w subwoofer amp instead of waiting for the Gallo sub amp (and saved $200 in the bargain). Also, I much prefer the Ref 3s' woofers facing in rather than out. Note that in the 6moons review photo, he has the woofers driving directly into racks of CDs that are very close to the Gallos. I experienced the same relatively weak bass (without the sub amp) when my woofers faced out.
I had some Ref3's for about a month and drove them with the complete opposite end of the amp spectrum. I kept my Innersound ESL 300 MKIII amp, per the suggestion of the guys at Gallo, and had great results. I whole heartedly agree about facing the woofers inward, also. I realize the response is depentdant on the sonics of the room, but I got a lot deeper, and seemingly quicker, bass in that configuration.

Also, I used a couple of extra channels from a Parasound 1206a amp to drive the second voice coil, using my PrePro (Anthem AVM30) crossover and high-pass/low-pass setting to control. It worked incredibly well. It was hard to believe how deep these little speakers would go!!

Good luck with them.
Mine sound best with the woofers facing out. But really, as stated above, that's all dependant on your room set up.
The bad news from Gallo is that it will be at least another three months until the sub amp is available...