Gallo reference /TAS vs Me

I spent a fair amount of time listening to the new reference speakers from Gallo a few months ago and dismissed them as closed in-particularly in the mids- and opaque in the soundstage and generally disapointing. Now TAS puts out a review which goes against everything I heard. Am I losing my hearing or are TAS and I listening to two different speakers? FYI the dealer used Musical Fidelity electronics with the Gallos and I listen with Maggie 3.5s and BAT electronics.
banksfriend
Mine sound best with the woofers facing out. But really, as stated above, that's all dependant on your room set up.
The bad news from Gallo is that it will be at least another three months until the sub amp is available...
I find it hard to believe that it can sound much better with thier amp, than with your own. Especially if you have a processor that will scupt all of your output parameters. Mine sounded fantastic.
From the 6moon review, they didn't seem all that impress, they said that starting out with a good amp might render the SA redundant:

"However, the sound more than filled the room and the bass for the most part sounded appropriately deep and fat. It just lacked ultimate definition. [For comparison's sake, my reference tube amps don't generate enough current for that low-frequency leading edge into those 10-inch woofers either. However, the 1000-watt into 4-ohm ICEpower amps are truly shocking in that regard. At least in my space, they could well render the addition of the bass amp redundant. The same would probably hold true for a more affordable Bryston or McCormack amp - Ed.]"
Remember that you'll need a crossover, set around 45 Hz. if you use something other than a sub amp. And an infrasonic filter if you play LPs.
Well, after waiting a couple of months to get my Bruce Moore Custom 120's back, they've finally returned and now have new matched quads of EH 6550's. They sound terrific. Great definition, and bass that sound very satisfying. Still, I had my IRD 100watt mono blocks sitting around, so I got a couple of inline 50 Hz low pass filters and connected them to the sub input. The difference in wattage between my tubes and the sub amps may be responsible for the somewhat underwhelming difference. The speakers sound larger, and bass definition is sharper, but overall, there's not a lot of difference, maybe 5-10%. That's what you want to hear though, right? The Gallos as is, without the need for bi-amping, are pretty special. Of course, when the, what are they, 220 watt per channel, sub amps come out with their ability to tailor the power and frequency more specifically, they should make a more significant difference. Still, it's kind of fun to have a little added bass thrown in.