Logitech Squeezebox Touch DAC: How Good?

Logitech Squeezebox Touch's are allegedly raining out of UPS trucks into the arms of new owners, as we speak.... or as you read this ;-)

NOW, advance word is that the analog out is a huge step up from it's predessor. It's alleged to have quite a good DAC.

How good?

Those of you with some experience on this matter - please speak up! It is stomping your Berkeley DAC? Empirical? Weiss? Peachtree? Cambridge? Devilsound?

(Is it listenable?!)

The world wants to know!

Art
artmaltman
Ok, now that I have several hours experience with the unit, I'll talk a little bit about the sound. However, I won't be able to comment on comparisons with DAC's until this weekend when I borrow my friend's Bryston.

System: Cary SLI-80, Silverline SR17.5, Cary 308T cdp, EAR 834p modified phono. Interconnects Cardas Golden Ref, speaker cable Audience AU-24, powerc(h)ord mostly Audience. (no "e" levels alas...).

The analog outs sound very, very lovely, with natural level of detail. Neutral, perhaps a tad more neutral than my 308T, but generously musical. Deep bass, but not as deep as the 308T. The sound has a couple of problems at this point that prevent it from entering the league of my 308T, or turntable, or any other source I've been using over the years: (1) it is very polite. (2) it is somewhat flat sounding. I'm not getting depth of image. On wireless there is a slightly ghostly quality.

That said, having spent even a few minutes using this thing, it is hard to go back to any kind of spinning platter. It is very enjoyable and great fun - for natural music like classic, jazz, singers, etc. It seems not dynamic enough for rock or pop, but my system is not designed for rock anyway (that's for the car and Shuffle with Westones at the gym:-) . So I suspect that it is not fair for me to evaluate the Touch on music that my system is not designed for.

The Touch appears to be a keeper, but so far at least, I will be pulling out my spinning disks for serious listening.

Perhaps that will change with the addition of an external DAC?

I can comment on how this compares to the Devilsound that I use in my home office and have tried in my main system. It does seem a bit clearer than the Devilsound.

All of my music is ripped in iTunes at both 256 and Apple lossless. I use the smaller versions on small capacity ipods for gym and travel, and lossless for serious listening and large capacity ipod. In direct comparisons last night, it was hard to hear a difference between 256 and lossless. Again, perhaps an external DAC here will reveal greater differences.

I tried playing the Touch using iTunes as a source from my MacBook Pro wirelessly, and also, from an SDHC card directly. In my relatively brief testing, the SDHC card sounded a bit more saturated, full of color.

I intentionally used the SDHC card (32GB) rather than a spinning hard drive to avoid issues of electronic noise. The SDHC card has 256 bit rate versions of the music.

I played the Touch with the volume all the way up, and rely on the volume control of the amp for control.

I found setup of the Touch very straightforward until I began to alternate between sources, and also alternate between using the Mac to control it rather than the screen or remote. Alternating sources or control units is very tricky - to me, anyway. Also the online control unit froze up use of Firefox for any other concurrent purpose. I wish I could use iTunes as the control interface rather than the Squeezebox software - which is not bad BTW. Perhaps that is possible, we shall see.

Having access to radio stations from all over the world is a revelation to me, but Squeezebox owners are used to this for a long time now I guess, going back to generation 1, right?

That's about all I can think of to say at this point. It does sound way better than a cheap cd player. I can't really compare it to better cd players or turntable since it seems to have its own sound. I've never heard any source component have this combination of neutrality, detail, musicality, robust bass, yet flawed with a dominating politeness (lack of dynamics?) and flatness of perspective.

Caveat: Many of you know from personal experience that a few hours of experience with a component is premature to draw firm, fixed conclusions, so I reserve the right to update as things progress.

Art
Art,

Thanks for this update. I've been waiting for someone to post on it. At this point I am planning to get a SB Touch sort of as a poor man's Transporter but am waiting to see what others' opinions are before jumping. I did want the 24/96 capability so that's the reason I haven't bought a Duet or the original SB. I'm also intrigued by the idea of adding an inexpensive USB hard drive to stream music. Please keep updating this thread as you get more experience and thanks for being willing to be the first to post.

Dick
Thanks for the comment Dick. I suspect that the Touch will retain a high level of used value for quite some time so particularly at it's price, it's a safe bet to try out. And you might find that it fills your needs just fine without a DAC. In my system it is definitely very enjoyable.

BTW, Cardas Golden Ref would probably not be the interconnect of choice to liven up a "flat" sounding source, so I may end up experimenting with that. I love CGR in virtually all applications but perhaps Nordost here?

Also I'm runing Mac OS 10.5.8 "Leopard". Rumors are that the 10.6.x "Snow Leopard" actually sounds better when driving a Squeezebox. Who knows - we shall see.

The Bryston DAC test will be very very interesting :-)
FYI, I was able to stream 24/96 aiff files through Touch wireless from Windows server using a USB hard drive. Sounds great.
I am running my Squeezebox Classic 3 with a new IMAC 10.6 and i must say we notice a difference... things moved up a notch - i'm not saying night and day but a nice upgrade in the sound with things sounding fuller and livelier.