What speaker after Thiel 7.2?

I'm not unhappy with my speakers, but I'm curious about what else is out there. My question is directed to those who owned (or very seriously considered) the 7.2s as to what they moved on to and their assessment of the change. Particularly, are you happy or regretful? What does your speaker do that the Thiels didn't do? What did the Thiels do that your current speaker doesn't do? Of course, those that went to a speaker costing considerably more should maintain some perspective.

Budget would be under 20k new (although would listen to speakers up to 30k), and listening room is 18x16 with an open-floor layout. This means that the speakers have no side-walls, are spaced 9 feet apart, and listening position is at 12 ft. Main priorities would be for a full-range speaker that images clearly, accurately, with a realistic soundstage, and good reliability/customer service.

Thanks,
Rob
rtn1
Hi Rob,

The Eidolon would be a good choice and if you can stretch your budget the Eidolon Diamond is even more captivating.

I've been fortunate enough to own both of them and both in their respective price categories (IMO) are SOTA.

Put the right components in front of them and in return you'll get magic!

Good luck, I hope you find what you are looking for.
Tom
You could try a top of the line (or one of them) Audio Note Type E speakers. They have full range sound, sound great, and are 95db efficient at 8ohms. The resistance operates between 6 and 8 ohms so it is an exceptionally easy speaker to drive and it adore quality tube gear. With 8 very good watts from a quality 300b amplifier you just might be surprised at the difference in sound from monster amps and Thiel speakers.

That is what I used before I went the SET/Audio Note speaker route.
Rob,
I listened to 7.2's alot. I bought Wilson Benesch Chimeras. Much faster,natural base. Much better detail in midrange. Highs more natural less "sharp". Listen to them yourself ,I think you'll be impressed.
The 7.2 isn't that good, the list I have is long, heck I even like the Wilson Watt Puppy 7 more than the 7.2.

ATC SCM100ASL---- Maybe the 7.2 has deeper bass but this is a very onesided contest. The 100's play louder, image better, have more timbrel accuracy....on and on. $15,000 with amplifiers its a no brainer. ATC provides a whole other world of playback performance. More accurate more dynamic.

Dynaudio Confidence Any, once again maybe give up the last little bit bass extension, but again play louder, more actual clarity and detail, images better than the Thiel and the ATC, but in my experience some of the worst sounding speakers image super well.

The least expensive speaker might be the ATC SCM-20-2 with a concept 4 subwoofer, even without the subwoofer the 20's better the thiels in the frequencies it covers in common with the 7.2.

Aerial 20T is another to consider.

When people own Thiel its like finding a speaker for a klipsch owner. The sound is so unique and its attributes accentauted that what is it that needs to be changed puts us in the certain direction to help you more specifically.
OK. So maybe I was a bit unhappy with my system. I had stopped enjoying it and did not care for the sound. I found the high frequency to be accentuated, the mids to be lacking, and the bass to be nothing special. This was frustrating, because a couple months ago everything sounded great.

A couple nights ago I repositioned the speakers. There was about an inch of toe-in that I removed. When I sat back down, the difference was night-and-day. I mean going from thinking about selling to sitting there in amazement. I mean jaw-dropping, lump-in-the throat, sit on the edge of the seat, hair standing on the back of the neck, honey I'm not coming to bed for a while. Everything, from top to bottom, came into focus. The mids came out, the highs sparkle with detail and clarity, and the bass has pin-point accuracy. The soundstage was huge and realistic. Music had so much energy and rhythm. Basically, I rediscovered how good things are. It is just so hard to believe that a little toe-in can create such unhappiness.

So now I really can't imagine selling them. The Avalon Eidolon Diamonds might be tempting, but they are 3x the price. Nonetheless, it would be interesting to listen to new speakers if I'm traveling next to a dealer. Keep the recommendations coming.

As far as ATC goes, it looks like the only distributor is Flat Earth Audio in the US. Does this mean that there is no place to demo these other than CT? Also, I've heard Dynaudio, and I prefer the Thiel.

Thanks,
Rob