What speaker after Thiel 7.2?

I'm not unhappy with my speakers, but I'm curious about what else is out there. My question is directed to those who owned (or very seriously considered) the 7.2s as to what they moved on to and their assessment of the change. Particularly, are you happy or regretful? What does your speaker do that the Thiels didn't do? What did the Thiels do that your current speaker doesn't do? Of course, those that went to a speaker costing considerably more should maintain some perspective.

Budget would be under 20k new (although would listen to speakers up to 30k), and listening room is 18x16 with an open-floor layout. This means that the speakers have no side-walls, are spaced 9 feet apart, and listening position is at 12 ft. Main priorities would be for a full-range speaker that images clearly, accurately, with a realistic soundstage, and good reliability/customer service.

Thanks,
Rob
rtn1
Cinematic-systems:
How does the atc 150 asl pro image compared to the Dynaudio?
Whatever David;

Whether I was a dealer or not my advice would not change. 75% of my advice I don't carry.

Everyone, I'm an ATC dealer.

The dealer I was employed by dropped the line because the speakers were uncompetitive and taking up space (after I left). By the way the same thing happened to Sonus Faber...if you want to see me get negative now there's a speaker line I can get negative about. To save time, I have been less diplomatic but I haven't told you anything I haven't told to the people at Thiel. So I'm no coward about this, it is what it is. And until they made the 2.4 there was nothing anyone could do to change it. Finally a good speaker from Thiel!, if they keep going I might become a dealer. Then I won't be able to talk about them on Audiogon.

This whole conversation brings this analogy to mind, I am a Tampa Bay Buccaneer fan since the drafted Hugh Green from the Pitt Panthers, so I have seen some hard times being a "fan". But I'm going to stick up for them and hope they do better next year or in the case of the 80's next decade. When you are a professional you are not afforded the luxuries of being a "fan". David you are a fan of Thiel and i'm picking on your team. you're the one not be reasonable or rational, you are not being objective. The speakers we discussed are bad speakers for the money and are terribly misrepresented by the press. Now this is how I look at it, put yourself in this position. One of your best friend wants a new stereo system and he's heard really great things about Bose and has read all the positive reviews and a couple of friends have chimed in to say how happy they are, what are you going to do? what would any of you do? He has all the back up you you claim to have with thiel and Bose gets pushed out the door at a staggering magnitude...How do you approach this? He's owned Bose 901-s for 15 years...where do you start.

I haven't heard one person say the 2.3 is as good as the 2.4, so if the difference is so clear cut then how can the 2.3 be world class and the 2.4 not be the end all be all?

As for the 7.2 its unique at best but if you like them more power to ya!. To think you could own a $14,000 speaker and if its not setup perfectly its dumpable? Sounds like a keeper to me.

BTW I used the 7.2 for 6 months to sell my personal designs, which I am dealer for. Imagine the shock of potential clients when my $6500 active speakers actually made a violin sound like a violin and not an expensive egg slicer like the 7.2. It was a great back drop for all the speakers I sold.

What better vehicle than to use a supposed to be and compare it to a really is. Sells the the really is everytime. Its a shame someone bought them because they were making me look good. Now I got ATC SCM-150ASL's at home and I'm back to being an amateur.

"You couldnt sell them,while other dealers were pushing them out the door."

I prefer nobody bought them, I don't sell anyone anything, I give you the information and you make the decision. Like I mentioned some time ago to bad I can't do a demo for you. All this talk is pointless, a 20 minute demo we'd see eye to eye we still may disagree but we'd understand each other much better.
Cinematic systems, tell us how you really feel. I think this is hillarious. Yes, I agree that the Thiel 7.2 is alot like Bose except not as sexy. And I didn't realize that it also had culinary applications. You are like the Morton Downey Jr. of audiophilia.

You'd actually probably make good recommendations if you didn't repeatedly make statements that undermine your argument. I don't know if you are a genious or an idiot!

Where are you located? I have an open mind to try new things. Your description of my speakers is not similar to what I hear, so perhaps I need to have my ears opened.

Anyway, here's to audiophiles with opinions and preferences. Viva la difference!

Rob
"to think you could own a $14000.00 speaker and if not set up perfectly its dumpable"
Im sure Rtn1 doesnt have them set up 'perfectly'but only found that proper speaker placement can have a profound effect on the sound.
What speaker doesnt benefit from being set up properly?
Are your ATC's immune to speaker placement?
I bet your ATC's can be set up facing away from you,1 speaker 8 feet and the other 12 feet away from your listening position and sound FAB!!
To Hell with speakers that need proper speaker placement to sound their best!!

Your dealership is getting some free advertising here for your ATC's..why dont you list them and sell them instead of brag about them??