What speaker after Thiel 7.2?

I'm not unhappy with my speakers, but I'm curious about what else is out there. My question is directed to those who owned (or very seriously considered) the 7.2s as to what they moved on to and their assessment of the change. Particularly, are you happy or regretful? What does your speaker do that the Thiels didn't do? What did the Thiels do that your current speaker doesn't do? Of course, those that went to a speaker costing considerably more should maintain some perspective.

Budget would be under 20k new (although would listen to speakers up to 30k), and listening room is 18x16 with an open-floor layout. This means that the speakers have no side-walls, are spaced 9 feet apart, and listening position is at 12 ft. Main priorities would be for a full-range speaker that images clearly, accurately, with a realistic soundstage, and good reliability/customer service.

Thanks,
Rob
rtn1
Rtnl

I have become so caught up in this post that I forgot to give you my opinion, and it is just that my opinion. I would love a pair of 7.2's I currently own 3.6's. I listen primarily to classical and some female jazz vocls from time to time. I really enjoy my 3.6's and have simply not stepped up to the plate to buy 7.2's. Primarily because of my family situation which doesn't give me much time to sit and listen for what I feel is enough time to justify their cost. Hope all is well

Chuck

Lrsky,
I think cinematic is dead on with his assesment. It's a good speaker but not for 14000. This is a smoke and mirrors industry (pipedreams) and it's refreshing to find a person who tells it like it is without prejudice or fear of recrimination. I've listened to the 7.2's many times and I bought wilson benesch chimeras because they actually are worth 20k. VERY few speakers are. Profesional reviewers are not trustworthy (see Gryphon fiasco). I'd encourage people to listen for themselves and when possible to watch the products taken apart (its amazing what you find inside a 25k product).
Chuck,
Another alternative thought to the 7.2 would be a used pair of CS5i's. They are a significant improvement over the 3.6. And, they are in many ways the best speaker Jim ever designed. The abundance of drivers, three 8" woofs, a 4" Kevlar, a (my memory fades here) 2.5 or 3" dome, and a 1" dome. The dome was remarkable having about 10x the typical excursion of tweeters of it's era. It had to be a dynamic tweeter to keep up with all those other drivers.
So you have a total of six drivers, giving this speaker great linearity, and what I call 'image density'. They can tend to be a but lean at about 70 Hz oddly (this is where the middle woof, which acts as a mid bass, lower mid driver) crosses over, and may have lobing issues, but nothing that judicious room placement can't help.
Even Jim, (sorry to tell people this publicly) admits privately that this (at least was)his 'favorite' speaker of his own design.
They can be had fairly cheap Chuck. I sold my pair for about $5K as I recall, and they were in beautiful Rosewood.
Remember there are two versions, the CS5 and the CS5i, the later standing for 'improved', and it was. The mid was better, and the woofs were much more hearty, with longer throw capability.
Good hunting.
Cinematic_systems,

I would appreciate your opinion of the Thiel CS 2.4. You mentioned you liked the 2.4 and I'm interested in knowing what particulaly you like or dislike. Also what type of music did you play when you had the 7.2 in your home? What was the associated equipment?
Lrsky,

It is all relative as you say, for me and my clients $14,000 is a serious investment. When people spend that kind of money I don't think they expect compromise, I don't think they want caveats and asterisks next to the performance of their equipment.

Yes many people will think the 7.2 is a good speaker until they hear some of the speakers on my list above then the bar will be raised once again. Then their opinion would change. I have demonstrated the CS7.2s to hundreds of people, most of them I did not know at the time and do not know today. Since you are beyond your limit I will spare you the general consensus of their opinion.

I never bought 7.2's Lrsky, they were traded in to me, I brokered them for people that's why I put owned in quotes. My point was my knowledge and experience with this speaker was quite thorough and extensive. I would stop explaining my position if you would stop trying to discredit what I say and that my knowledge is limited on this speaker.

BTW I made an assumption about who you are, we have met and talked on the phone. Yes the measurements are in credible as I noted (steady state), maybe some of the best bass at the price point. But as I mentioned before something happens to them when they are playing under dynamic conditions that make the timbre's change. Infact if you don't listen to them very loud and stick to audiophile jazz recordings these speakers will do the job very well.

Here is where my opinion intervenes, I find that too restrictive a pallette for a speaker that is $14,000. So evaluate my opinion based on that, if at 14,000 you expect that level of compromise then my opinion is irrelevant.

Chuck I like the CS3.6's very musical and until the 2.4's came about probably the best value for performance speaker in the thiel line. I may know where you can get a pair. A gentleman just upgraded his CS3.6's to ATC SCM150's and may be interested in selling them. I'll email you the details. Give me a couple days.