What speaker after Thiel 7.2?

I'm not unhappy with my speakers, but I'm curious about what else is out there. My question is directed to those who owned (or very seriously considered) the 7.2s as to what they moved on to and their assessment of the change. Particularly, are you happy or regretful? What does your speaker do that the Thiels didn't do? What did the Thiels do that your current speaker doesn't do? Of course, those that went to a speaker costing considerably more should maintain some perspective.

Budget would be under 20k new (although would listen to speakers up to 30k), and listening room is 18x16 with an open-floor layout. This means that the speakers have no side-walls, are spaced 9 feet apart, and listening position is at 12 ft. Main priorities would be for a full-range speaker that images clearly, accurately, with a realistic soundstage, and good reliability/customer service.

Thanks,
Rob
rtn1
Lrsky

It seems odd to me that Jim Thiel would redesign/replace the CS 5i's with a speaker of an inferior design the CS 7.2's if he felt the original was a superior speaker. This is as I understand why he has not replaced the 3.6 because of his inability to build a replacement that exceeds their performaance. Although I have heard rumors that one is in the works.

I do know that my 3.6's are very sensative to placement and that they are very unforgiving to upsteam components. They also respond good or bad when I make replacement / upgrade decisions.

I do find it strange that there is such a variance of opinions concerning Thiel speakers in general. It seems people either love them or hate them. I maust have things setup pretty well in my system because I love my 3.6's and so does my wife who couldn't care less. I also know it isn't just me as I have a pretty good hear for music being a musician myself and going to several concerts (classical). But boy these 7.2's sure seem to get people motivated to express their opinions.

Talk about bad. I have listened to a pair of watt-puppies being driven through all Levinson electronics at a local dealership. Talk about sound that was non-musical and sterile; my gosh, I simply could not stand it. And were talking about $20k plus speakers and about $40k plus of electronics MSRP. But some people love them and swear by them. However; I am sure in the right enviroment they are very good. But not when I listened to them and that was on at least two occasions. I had to go back because I could not believe my ears.

Chuck
In your comments you imply, if not assume that Jim intended to make a speaker inferior to the CS5i.
The raw truth, from the inside of the company is, that the driver of import, being the coaxial driver, set the future in stone.
Because of the radiation pattern of the coaxial, which the CS5 did not have, made it technologically inferior, at least to those who consider the coax to be better.
I know for a fact that the CS5i is a better speaker than the 7.2 in the same vein as the CS 3.6 which your wife prefers. I never liked the 3.6 as it embodies the flaws of most typical speakers of first order cross overs. Plus the midrange literally flies into pieces when over driven, ask Dreamworks in Nashville, if that isn't true.
The CS5's were meant to be the do all end all speaker that Jim Thiel could produce. And they were really, damn good.
I regret that the 7.2 came afterward. It is a regression which is obvious to any serious listener. Now, you and I are having a civil conversation, without Macho interference.
I love music; I cried openly when I watched DeLovely, which was a tribute, supposedly done by archangel Gabriel, who interpreted Porter's life and actions. It is a shame that people of similar likes meet and cross swords as we did in the beginning, when, in effect, we agree, more than disagree.
You should hear my cheap little LSA2's at $1800. per pair.
Actually, if you will send me your private email address, I will send you a pair for your appraisal, with no regard to what you write. How's that for fair, and friendly Chuck?
You will be stunned at what I have done for that price, my gentleman's word on it.
Let me know by email if you accept.
lrsky

I do not think Jim Thiel would intentionally design and market an inferior design. In my comment I meant just the opposite that most companies, Thiel included, intend to improve on a design not regress. As an engineer myself we are always trying to improve on an a previous design and not just put something new out there. If it isn't better then why bother most customers, not all, are savy enough to figure it out pretty quickly. And that was all I meant nothing assumed or infered. My comments concerning the 3.6's not being replaced sooner came from some article I read where Jim Thiel makes the very comment I allude to.

Who manufactures the LSA2's? And yes this is an interesting discussion and I do appreciate keeping it civil. It does no one any good if it degrades into making slanderous comments or language. This is after all just a hobby. We are all trying to seek the same goal that being the enjoyment of listening to recorded music.

Chuck