VR-4JR or USHER 6371

Hi everyone
I am new to the forum and find myself in the (un?)fortunate position of rebuilding my entire home theater/stereo system. I am looking to spend somewhere in the 4k region for main speakers. They will do about 50/50 stereo and home theater duty. I have read alot about the VR4jr and will soon be able to hear them. I have also heard good things, although not as much press, regarding the ushers. I unfortunately have a somewhat small living room in which i will be setting up. The speakers will have to go along the longest wall. 10x16x8tall. I have some lattitude in sellecting acoustic treatment to improve my oddball room. the speakers will have to be placed up against the rear wall and not allowed to be pulled into the room. Has anyone here heard both speakers? Any insight would be great as I haven't heard ny of the usher line.
Cheers
Sam
superfly676
kehut in looking at a picture of your setup i noticed you have the 6371's firing straight ahead. was this the same way you set up the 6381's? as per the distributor the ushers require quite some toe in. did you do any experimenting with toe in? i have the 6381's and i do not have the boxiness that you describe.
Although it looks in the pic like they may be straight ahead..they are indeed toed to a point crossed just past the listening position. I have tried various placements with this being the best in my system. Same was true for the 81's..Please dont get me wrong, they are a great speaker.

Now, I also have a completely different system with the 71's than with the 81's which was powered by a Plinius SA250 and ARC LS25, Wadia, and Transparent cables. Of note... I ran them under brake in in conditions to about 350 hours before I ultimately sold them. I may indeed have needed more time on them to fully break in and the boxy, closed in upper mids to ameliorate in quality, perhaps the 81's would do better on my current Stingray, although the specs say not a good match. I also think that the 81's may have been too much speaker for my space, as the bass was too much at times.

Another cavaet for me is that I listen in the near field, about 9ft from the speakers, which may have been too close for the 81's to properly integrate in my room. They actually may do much better from a further distance.The new owner is a friend and he has no problems of boxiness to speak of..so that may tell you that my room and the 81's were just not synergistic. This is just my opinion and experience of course. One thing for sure..they offer tremendous value and quality for the price.
It is the 6391 I heard and not the 6381. That't because I am located in Singapore. Okay, went down to the dealer and auditioned the 6371 and my opinioned on Ursher has changed. The 6371 is good. Unlike the 6391, the boxy coloration was absent. Quite natural actually and fast. However I felt that the VR-4jr has a better bass extension but you need to add lead shots to get the best sound. Selecting between the VR-4jr and the 6371 can be a tough decision however Usher's much lower price may be a strong factor to consider. Don't know what the price is in the US but it is about $2100 over here. For me if price is not an issue I'll get the VR-4jr.
in the us, the 6371's are $2900 and the 6381's are $3400.
caesar148, can you listen to the 6381's?
Hi all
Thanks for your input. I just purchased the VR4jr's. I could not find the ushers to audition them and I was impressed by the VSR's so i took the plunge. Now i am looking forward to deciding on a good processor and universl player.
Cheers!
Sam