Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Steve, the review Jon is referring to, which was written by Steven Stone, begins on page 94 of TAS issue 247 (the "Spring 2015 Buyer's Guide" issue). The Off-Ramp 5 is mentioned on page 98, just before the "Conclusion" section.

Regards,
-- Al
Will you be using double rock? Make sure the seems don't line up...I have done the first layer of rock vertically and the second horizontally. The Wadis engineer I spoke with years ago (when we did this at my buddys store) told us to do this..Ceiling too. We used cement rock too ;)...I don't remember the dimensions that we used, but Richard Vandersteen wrote about this years ago and my buddy consulted with him also (he was a dealer for Richard too). we set it all up using his rules of thirds. We used berber carpet and that was perfect. He didn't use much room treatment as he didn't need it. Lost of plants behind the speakers and quilts on the walls...He had a huge wall full of albums on the walls in front of the speakers...it was alike a baffle....there was no slap echo and the bass had plenty of room to breath without loading the room. Please share more about your set up either here or on another thread. thanks.
+1 with Ctsooner, that is the way to build an audio room, all Natural!, no over kill and unnecessary room treatment's that cost alot of money, I have seen $100,000.00 treated rooms that did nothing for me, the spectral, MIT, Avalon, licensed room at Progressive Audio in Columbus, Ohio in the mid 90s.
Paul,

There is a firmware release for DoP64 support, as well as ALAC. Link here: QA660 DoP and ALAC support

There are just two SDT-M prototypes at the moment, but more are on the way soon. Will let you know the details as we progress.

The SDT-M is a SD card Digital Transport intended to work with our D/A converters. It uses a I2S-like connection, but not PCM. It is all DSD for both PCM formats (converted to DSD64, double DSD128 or quadruple DSD256 on request) and native DSD files up to DSD512.

Of course, if you have a DAC supporting such rates and input you can use it too. Pinout of the 10-pin RJ-50 jack will be disclosed for a referene. For those who like to use it with up to 192k PCM only, there is always the good old S/PDIF output also available. :-)

Best,
Alex Peychev
APL Hi-Fi